Is Mutual of Omaha a good employer?

GPaq17

Expert
I have an interview with MoO this Friday and just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience working for them? I am not looking for a place that I can get experience and move on, but a place I can stay for a while. Can anyone give me any info if this is a good company to work for or is it just another churner of new Agents? I am not new, just am looking for a stable place to land.

thanks in advance

They are a very good place to have a career. I worked there -and many on this board did as well. It all depends on your manager, and what you make of it. It's up to you to make something of it, but they definately have the name recognition and the leads and prospecting and orphan clients and usually the management, to give you a good shot at a career.

I have an interview with MoO this Friday and just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience working for them? I am not looking for a place that I can get experience and move on, but a place I can stay for a while. Can anyone give me any info if this is a good company to work for or is it just another churner of new Agents? I am not new, just am looking for a stable place to land.

thanks in advance

Why do you have an interview? I'm a broker with them through a marketer and just filled out the paperwork and got appointed with them.

They are a great company to write for. Pay weekly commissions. Advance a year on issued business. Don't charge back if a customer dies and they have to refund unused premium. Normally no phone interviews required on med-supps. Their med-supp underwriting is very fair to the agents.

I've been writing for them since 2001. Only complaint I have is their term/life applications have too many forms to get completed + their disability rates aren't that great.

Their rating...Best's Rating Center - Company Information for Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company

Thanks guys. I am still interviewing but am having second thoughts and I think an Indy Agnt is more appealing to me. I spoke to them and it's basically just cold calling all day long with a few "warm leads" here and there. I figure I could do that on my own and keep 100% of the commission. Seems like in the long run, it would be great if you decided to stay with the company long term.

thanks for the help,
Gregg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thanks guys. I am still interviewing but am having second thoughts and I think an Indy Agnt is more appealing to me. I spoke to them and it's basically just cold calling all day long with a few "warm leads" here and there. I figure I could do that on my own and keep 100% of the commission. Seems like in the long run, it would be great if you decided to stay with the company long term.

thanks for the help

Last edited:

Another point of consideration, especially since you're just getting started, is the training. When I started in the business I had a lousy commission structure and had a captive agreement but the training I got was well worth it. Good news for me was that I ended up working directly for UHC after and so the release was a nonissue and by the time I left all my other contracts had waited out the non-production timelines so I was good to go indy again.

Moral of the story, if you do go independent, get a good trainer! Make sure you find someone you can ride with on at least a couple in homes and have him (or her) do a mock presentation for you so you can see how the sales process works. Zig Ziglar books are also a great investment!

I'm just gonna say, MoO does have very competitive products so as long as the training isn't bad you're gonna be in a better position than most people are starting out. I bet a good trainer saves you probably 6 months of teaching yourself.

Back