is my 2005 car likely to be totaled?

starstuff92

I have a 2005 Rav 4 in very good condition - I've always kept up with any maintenance and the car was just inspected earlier this month. I was in a rear-end collision. My front bumper is pushed in, cooling fluid was leaking, looks like the radiator was damaged, it was smoking, and the front passenger door will not open. It has 125,000 miles. From looking on Kelley Blue Book, it looks like my car is worth about 4-5k. I am no auto expert, and the shop my insurance towed it to couldn't really give me an estimate yet and just said "they might repair it, but I'm not sure yet."

My question is - since my car is so old/high miles, do you think All State is likely to repair it? I have comp and collision. I want to know if I should start looking at other cars.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Front is pushed in, leaking fluids (could be radiator) door wont open (frame is pushed back on that side. Smoke was probably steam from radiator. Don't look at trade in value from Kelly, look at retail. If the damage is more than 60-65% of the value of the car (between 3500-4000 damage) your car will be considered a total loss. The reason is that once you cross that threshold you can reach the total value quickly. If the headlight buckets are damaged and the hood, fenders (airbags) you are probably wise to start shopping for a new ride

NY applies the 75% threshold.

If the repair cost reaches 75% of the Actual Cash Value (ACV), by statute) then the car is a total loss.

You'll just have to wait for the estimate and the insurance company's ACV assessment.

Meantime, I found four RAV 4s on NY's Craigslist:

4800 183,000 miles
6300 157,000 miles
3750 202,000 miles
4975 150,000 miles

new york cars & trucks - by owner - craigslist

Asking prices are typically 10% to 15% higher than selling prices. Still, based on a well maintained car with only 125,000 miles on it, ACV could be well over $5000.

Start compiling ads from other areas outside of NY so you can prepare yourself for the inevitable argument about your car's ACV.

Won't take much to get over $3750 in repairs, especially since a door being stuck could mean fender, pillar, and door damage.

What did you hit and how fast were you going when you hit it?

NY applies the 75% threshold.

If the repair cost reaches 75% of the Actual Cash Value (ACV), by statute) then the car is a total loss.

You'll just have to wait for the estimate and the insurance company's ACV assessment.

Meantime, I found four RAV 4s on NY's Craigslist:

4800 183,000 miles
6300 157,000 miles
3750 202,000 miles
4975 150,000 miles

new york cars & trucks - by owner - craigslist

Asking prices are typically 10% to 15% higher than selling prices. Still, based on a well maintained car with only 125,000 miles on it, ACV could be well over $5000.

Start compiling ads from other areas outside of NY so you can prepare yourself for the inevitable argument about your car's ACV.

Won't take much to get over $3750 in repairs, especially since a door being stuck could mean fender, pillar, and door damage.

What did you hit and how fast were you going when you hit it?

Thank you for the reply. Looking at similar cars for sale was a good tip. I've also attached a picture

Attachments

• car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5
Front is pushed in, leaking fluids (could be radiator) door wont open (frame is pushed back on that side. Smoke was probably steam from radiator. Don't look at trade in value from Kelly, look at retail. If the damage is more than 60-65% of the value of the car (between 3500-4000 damage) your car will be considered a total loss. The reason is that once you cross that threshold you can reach the total value quickly. If the headlight buckets are damaged and the hood, fenders (airbags) you are probably wise to start shopping for a new ride

Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize that the insurance would total it out at 60-65%. I have attached a picture. I am thinking you're right and I should probably start looking at new cars :(

Attachments

• car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 4
The passenger side door is probably hung up on the fender since it is pushed back slightly and the unibody could be bent looking at the right corner of the bumper. If repaired with all aftermarket parts you might get it completed under the total threshold

Back