Is my car insurable after being stolen?

river777runner

My car was stolen, and I didn't file an insurance claim because I had only liability, not comprehensive coverage. I simply filed a police report and notified my insurance company to remove the car from my policy. I don't remember if I mentioned to the insurance company that it had been stolen - let's assume I didn't.

Months later the car was recovered and returned to me in perfect condition. I had my mechanic check it out and found no structural or mechanical issues. I re-registered the car and called my insurance company and had them add it back onto my policy - again, I don't believe I mentioned that it had been stolen.

Now it occurs to me that maybe my insurance company has some sort of right to know that the car had been stolen, and maybe they can refuse to insure it. My reasoning is that maybe the theft incident creates a period of undocumented history during which damage could have been done to the car that makes it less safe, which in turn would increase my risk level relative to insurance premiums.

Is this a thing? Am I obligated to notify them of the theft regardless of whether I filed a claim? And if I don't, can they refuse to cover me if, god forbid, I should need to make a liability claim in the future?

Thank in advance for your help!

Someone else can chime in with more info, but it sounds like your car is now probably deemed "salvaged" which means you can no longer insure it, though you can still purchase liability only. I don't deal with much auto, and the auto I deal with is only commercial, so someone on here may need to correct me.

If the car is in the same undamaged condition and the title is clean there’s no reason to say anything. Cars get stolen and found all the time. They usually need a good detailing because the occupants usually trash them…or crash them.

If title is salvaged there could be issues getting full coverage. If it’s clean then no problem. Not sure why it would be salvaged if it wasn’t totaled. You would have to look at the title. If it says salvaged or rebuilt you could have issues getting full coverage. You just have to verify it with the agent/underwriter.

If title is salvaged there could be issues getting full coverage. If it’s clean then no problem. Not sure why it would be salvaged if it wasn’t totaled. You would have to look at the title. If it says salvaged or rebuilt you could have issues getting full coverage. You just have to verify it with the agent/underwriter.
I have purchased a recovered stolen car before and it had a salvage title. It had never been wrecked. That was actually one of my best auto purchases ever. $4,000 for a very near perfect Toyota Avalon.

I don't think I could have carried full coverage on it due to the salvage title. I wouldn't want to anyway. I self insure on something like that.

Thank you all for your feedback! As I mentioned in the OP, I did not file a claim when it was stolen. As I understand it, my insurance company would have had to total the car for it to have a salvage title. Sounds like I'm good.

Appreciate all the responses!

I have purchased a recovered stolen car before and it had a salvage title. It had never been wrecked. That was actually one of my best auto purchases ever. $4,000 for a very near perfect Toyota Avalon.

I had a 98 Avalon with well over 300k miles on it before we sold it to a mechanic down the road years ago. Still see that baby around the neighborhood from time to time. They're great cars.

Back