Is sales a talent?

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Nature vs nurture

Can you take anyone and make them successful in sales? Is there natural talent involved? Something "unteachable" where one agent will always do better than another with all other factors being the same?

Golf anyone? If I hired the best golf pro to train me, could I ever make the pro circuit?

Not sure about the golf, because that actually takes physical attributes that one may not be gifted with (think: Vern Troyer (or NOT!))

Sales, on the other hand, is better learned. Some may be gifted with a natural talent, but I do believe everyone would be better salespeople with proper training. Proper training, however, appears to be somewhat of a lost art. So many scheichtsters (oh please I have no idea how to spell that one so I just went auf Deutsch).

I agree with Bill regarding golf vs. sales. Sales can be learned, but it takes an inner motivation to do what needs to be done, i.e., prospecting and really working the job like 40 hours a week. I don't believe any physical attributes are involved, but some grey matter surely helps.

I guess what I'm asking is that saying they have the proper motivation and the proper training can anyone be successful an an insurance agent

Nature vs nurture

Can you take anyone and make them successful in sales? Is there natural talent involved? Something "unteachable" where one agent will always do better than another with all other factors being the same?

Golf anyone? If I hired the best golf pro to train me, could I ever make the pro circuit?

One, or even two cannot take anyone and make them successful in sales. At least not what I think you mean by "successful".

There first must be a natural ability and desire to communicate with people at all levels. I know a lot of people who will not even initiate a conversation in social settings let alone in a business environment.

A good golf pro can improve your game but if you lack natural athletic ability an analytical mind, strong desire, dedication, and that "certain something" you will never get on the pro circuit. I have played with scratch golfers who would never make it. That "certain something" was just not there.

Yes - I'm saying there's an X factor - something innate and unteachable - and ability to connect - the gift of gab - whatever you want to call it.

One, or even two cannot take anyone and make them successful in sales. At least not what I think you mean by "successful".

There first must be a natural ability and desire to communicate with people at all levels. I know a lot of people who will not even initiate a conversation in social settings let alone in a business environment.

A good golf pro can improve your game but if you lack natural athletic ability an analytical mind, strong desire, dedication, and that "certain something" you will never get on the pro circuit. I have played with scratch golfers who would never make it. That "certain something" was just not there.

Good point, Frank; however, I think that someone who is introverted would not have the motivation to attempt sales. They would likely be frightened by the prospect of having to communicate with strangers. I believe there may be some people who have a natural inclination to sales, but I still believe it can be learned with a modicum of talent.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm asking is that saying they have the proper motivation and the proper training can anyone be successful an an insurance agent

I think you know what my answer is.

If someone is teachable, and actually applies what they are taught, they will succeed.

Think about it, what makes someone a sales superstar, it's certainly not luck, so it has to be skill. If there were no formula for success, everyone would be level and mediocre at best.

An example; Pick an agency I've trained, of 12 agents, 7 have seen dramatic improvements over the course of training, the other 5, nothing. Why? Guess who's not applying what they learned?

This is a fact, I've literally asked agents "where is that in the presentation" and they become as guilty as a kid with his hand in the cookie jar and it defies explanation.

Read Dorothea Brande's Wake up and Live, we have developed a will to fail. It's out of print but worth finding.

Maybe they lack the desire, we all know story after story of an unlikely hero, why, because they had a burning desire and accepted nothing else.

Maybe they don't take it seriously.

Maybe they don't know any better.

Not everyone will succeed, but everyone can!

And since when is athletic ability a requirement for golf?

Maybe physics and dynamics but athletic ability? Tiger was in such great shape his body fell apart, riding a cart too much perhaps?

Back