Is the Farmers Agency Program a Good Way to Start?

Bob,

I have a background in financial services with Northwestern Mutual. I recently read your post about building 3 agencies with farmers and state farm. I do not know too much other than the farmers reserve program and the fact that SF wants you to have start up capital to build an agency.

First and foremost I am a 23 year old guy seeking that independence and income potential that we all strive for. But i want to make sure that I start with a great P/c company. For me it was difficult to sell to my natural market and prospect from there. Being out of college I had no money for leads or professional memberships in which I could put myself into a niche with Northwestern. It was a great experience and I learned a lot but I am looking to expanding my lines.

I feel that being able to get my foot in the door with p/c which everyone needs here in California, will gain me the trust needed by the client to get some Life and other financial services going.

I'd like your input regarding SF and Farmers, I understand they are both captive companies. What are the goods and bars between the two? Allstate and Nationwide, are those worth looking into? I enjoy being able to offer options, I enjoy companies that are financially strong, companies that I can be proud to represent. I don't just want to be a glorified salesman pushing one product into the hands of people. But if they are the same all across the board, who is best to go with?

One thing to also consider is being able to put myself close to those who are willing to mentor me. I have a lot more to learn about the game. I want someone to influence me and direct me in the right way. I know that the DM for farmers is a great guy willing to teach me, provide me leads, house me for a couple of years. But do you have any personal advice for me? I want to make this long term!

Bob,

I have a background in financial services with Northwestern Mutual. I recently read your post about building 3 agencies with farmers and state farm. I do not know too much other than the farmers reserve program and the fact that SF wants you to have start up capital to build an agency.

First and foremost I am a 23 year old guy seeking that independence and income potential that we all strive for. But i want to make sure that I start with a great P/c company. For me it was difficult to sell to my natural market and prospect from there. Being out of college I had no money for leads or professional memberships in which I could put myself into a niche with Northwestern. It was a great experience and I learned a lot but I am looking to expanding my lines.

I feel that being able to get my foot in the door with p/c which everyone needs here in California, will gain me the trust needed by the client to get some Life and other financial services going.

I'd like your input regarding SF and Farmers, I understand they are both captive companies. What are the goods and bars between the two? Allstate and Nationwide, are those worth looking into? I enjoy being able to offer options, I enjoy companies that are financially strong, companies that I can be proud to represent. I don't just want to be a glorified salesman pushing one product into the hands of people. But if they are the same all across the board, who is best to go with?

One thing to also consider is being able to put myself close to those who are willing to mentor me. I have a lot more to learn about the game. I want someone to influence me and direct me in the right way. I know that the DM for farmers is a great guy willing to teach me, provide me leads, house me for a couple of years. But do you have any personal advice for me? I want to make this long term!

Nbati,
Which company is Best? That is opening a can of worms on this forum.

I could write a book on this....but no time. I'm sorry to have been mostly "off" this forum these past two+ weeks but we've been extremely busy making new plans/changes for 2012. Please shoot me an email or better, call me. If you leave a message with phone number, I will get back with you for sure. Leaving for a trip tomorrow & won't be back to the office till Friday...but I promise to call you.

Thank you..

as far as Farmers in concerned... Read all the posts on here about the company. They are not exactly well respected.

State Farm, in my opinion, has a better rep.

Best of Luck to you.

----------

There are literally thousands of disgruntled Farmers Agents on this forum. Read all of the posts about them. If you can stomach all that bad news - than GO for it.

State Farm seems be much more well respected.

Back