Is the grass greener?

Oct 31, 2018

1. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Expert

State:
    Michigan
    Hello,

I sell Medicare and Small Group employee benefits mostly. I stay very busy during the last quarter of the year and a bit into January but then for the rest of the year new business is very spotty.

I’ve been thinking to myself about trying to write some P&C in the off season because of all the free time I have. I also already have business and individual clients I could cross sell to.

I know quite a few P&C agency owners in the area and I think a few of them would be happy to let me write some business for them on a commission only basis.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone here has hired someone in that situation or if they have tried doing that themselves. Thanks

sbg_ben, Oct 31, 2018
  2. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    Following this post. I’m with those agency owners and would love to do the same thing. I’m a small new agent so would love to here from others about their experiences.

3. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    If you were licensed you could always go through MGAs so that you may have access to more carriers.

4. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Expert

State:
    Michigan
    I am not licensed in P&C yet but like I said business slows down pretty heavily in February and I could get licensed pretty quick. My L&H one only took 1 week of class and then a test and i'm sure P&C is similar.

How do I look into what MGA's are the best? I googled that and it came up with a bunch of strange things

sbg_ben, Oct 31, 2018
  5. NCAgent828

NCAgent828 Super Genius

State:
    North Carolina
    Ha!

I’m sure it did. Are you looking to do personal or commercial lines?

6. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Expert

State:
    Michigan
    Hard to say. I think I need to talk to someone who has done both to get more information on which one is best for me. In terms of health insurance, I do both individual and businesses but I don't want to do that on P&C and spread myself too thin.

I have access to some decent accounts in terms of commercial but just because we do their group health doesn't mean we can get their commercial especially if i'm brand new to it.

As far as the personal lines I am tempted to pick that because everyone can be a client. Every person you meet has some type of insurance you could quote and take over which is pretty amazing in my opinion because that isn't the case with health.

sbg_ben, Oct 31, 2018
  7. VolAgent

VolAgent Guru

State:
    Tennessee
    You have no idea how funny that is. You'd be amazed at the number of people who don't have insurance, or only have the minimum required by law or the lender.

VolAgent, Oct 31, 2018
  8. sbg_ben

sbg_ben Expert

State:
    Michigan
    lol that's why this is a grass is greener post because I really have no idea what its like to write P&C

sbg_ben, Oct 31, 2018
  9. shonceman

shonceman Guru

State:
    Texas
    Why pivot to P&C when you're already licensed for life? Final Expense Life is a great cross-sell to your Medicare clients. You can sell it year round, no AEP! Do you offer voluntary benefits (payroll deducted individual policies) to your small groups? If not, you should be. If you develop some voluntary groups, that will eventually keep you pretty active through the year, as service needs present themselves. (New employees, claims assistance, etc., are all sales opportunities.)

10. NC Fiduciary

NC Fiduciary New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We're actively looking for agents to sell P&C in our state, and possibly SC as well.