Is There a Catch when Healthspan(Kaiser) HSA Plan Has Only a $500 Deductible Because of Healthcare.g

tenyks

I have been searching online and in this forum. Can't seem to find an answer
about this question. The insurance company's customer service dept is closed
for the weekend.

I am searching for a decent health plan for my son. He just finished graduate
school and lives/works in Cleveland, Ohio.

Based on his income, he can buy this plan from Healthcare.gov with a subsidy.

$82/month
HealthSpanOne Silver 3000 HSA Plan A, $500 deudctible, $500 max OOP

Healthspan bought Kaiser in the area, so patients continue to use the same
Kaiser medical centers(just under different name). There is one just a short
2-minute walk from his apartment, which is why I think this is a good choice.

Almost all services are "0% after deductible" according to the
benefit highlights. I'm a newbie, so I'm unable to post link to the benefits
page, but you can see it buy searching with this exact quote on Google:
"HealthSpanOne Silver 3000 HSA Plan A"

The usual deductible is $3000 for this plan, hence the Silver 3000 name.
However, the those who qualify and buy from Healthcare.gov, the same
plan's deductible drops to $500.

Does this mean that he the most he will pay in a year is the $500 for all
covered services/drugs?

Thank you in advance for any replies! :)

Last edited:
Yes, it's called a cost sharing reduction plan that is attained at low enough income levels and only on silver plans. Yes $500 max on everything

----------

Find an agent. Chumps may help

----------

He's on this board........

Yes, it's called a cost sharing reduction plan that is attained at low enough income levels and only on silver plans. Yes $500 max on everything

So, instead of making sure that he has $3,000 saved in an account for medical needs, he now only need to keep $500 in there?

Something just occurred to me... why is the insurance company lowering the $3000 to $500 for the exact same plan just because someone qualifies and buys it from healthcare.gov? Is it out of the goodness of their hearts to help people? Or is it something that the government demanded?

Thanks! :)

I wonder if an HSA compliant plan is still HSA compatible when the CSR brings the deductible/oop below the HSA thresholds. Anyone know the answer to that?

I wonder if an HSA compliant plan is still HSA compatible when the CSR brings the deductible/oop below the HSA thresholds. Anyone know the answer to that?

What's a CSR?

But is a HSA still a HSA when it's only $500?

Cost sharing reduction. It is what brings the deductibles and coinsurances down for someone below 250% of the Fed Poverty Level. Ie the $500 deductible is below the HSA requirement of $1,300 deductible.

I've never seen a SILVER policy be HSA-Compatible. Sounds like a very unique plan from HealthSpan(Kaiser).

I just sent tenyks a primate message with my contact info. Typically, the deductible drops to $1,000. Oddly, even a $250 (cost-sharing) deductible is possible on a Silver plan (Cuyahoga County 25 year-old with $20k income).

The HealthSpan 2500-80 drops to a $500 deductible and the 1500-70 drops to a $250 deductible.

Oh...and boy those Browns today...May be time to draft another QB in the first round.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back