Is this Covered by Standard Auto Insurance?

I mean stupidity isn't an exclusion, but intentional stupidity is excluded, so I'm going with my gut and saying no.

I have no facts to back this argument up

Claims are covered for "sudden and accidental" not deliberate acts. Sending your vehicle into a void to stop a flooding is a deliberate act and fraud

Claims are covered for "sudden and accidental" not deliberate acts. Sending your vehicle into a void to stop a flooding is a deliberate act and fraud

You were fine until you got to those last two words.

People frequently say fraud like it's some sort of magic incantation that automatically brings divine punishment down on the perpetrator. An allegation of fraud requires proof of intent to defraud.

There's no intent to defraud in the scenario described.

Even if a claim was mistakenly made it would just be denied because the policy pays for "accidental" loss to the covered vehicle. Using a truck to dam up a river is not an accidental loss.

You were fine until you got to those last two words.

People frequently say fraud like it's some sort of magic incantation that automatically brings divine punishment down on the perpetrator. An allegation of fraud requires proof of intent to defraud.

There's no intent to defraud in the scenario described.

Even if a claim was mistakenly made it would just be denied because the policy pays for "accidental" loss to the covered vehicle. Using a truck to dam up a river is not an accidental loss.
Turning in a claim after a deliberate act is an attempt to defraud the carrier

Back