Is this Craigslist Ad a Scam?

WARNING:

While I can't speak to the ad your are reading today, I responded to a very similar ad about a year ago.

Here's what I discovered:

I do not know if this is a scam fully, but my opinion is that there are several red flags.

This is the most important one:

The person you will communicate with (if the same) is very articulate and knows insurance pretty well. The problem is, the person you will communicate with will give you the name of a REAL Insurance Agent (that is Licensed in a State - Texas, if I recall), but they are NOT that person!

They assume the IDENTITY of an actual Insurance Agent, and then somehow try to work with you...but I still don't understand how the money flow works.

What I DO know, is that talks with the ACTUAL Agent whose identity they assumed, revealed that THAT Agent DOES know about the fact they are doing this, as do several Insurance Commisioners, as I understand it.

A Fraud Department of a large Broker/Dealer/Financial Firm also has been doing "research" on them.

In other words, DO NOT TAKE it at FACE VALUE that who you are speaking with is really who they purport to be.

It is CLEVER, because they really do use a REAL AGENT'S NAME, but since they are not that Agent, it throws up a huge red flag.

In short -- BUYER BEWARE.

Make darn sure that who you are speaking with is who they claim to be and understand fully everything you can about contracting / uplines, etc.

Be very cautious about giving over anything personal or useful on yourself, until you can vet them thoroughly -- which may not be so easy to do, if it is the same characters.

The only "innocent" explanation I could come up was that maybe the "real" Agent was trying to set up a side-gig and he let a "buddy" impersonate him in order to get things established, before he left his current gig, but even if so, they may not be as established or successful as they pretend to be.

Good Luck!

----------

Pps. I hadn't read this full thread. The individual posting about the previous thread for EtelesureUSA is correct. That post and others filled me in about this and I individually confirmed it. I actually spoke with one of the "Real" Agents whose identify was being used.

----------

Names I seem to remember: BestRateFIS dot com and "Mark Thompson"

----------

Search the name "Mark Thompson" on these Forums !

Many threads!

Same info as what I also independently verified.

Something seems very amiss.

Back