Is this even legal?

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I got a voicemail at 7am this morning. I have not called the client back yet.

My client has a half-sister-in-law in the hospital with Lymphona, and has lesions on her brain and spine. Its not entirely clear to me if the half-sister-in-law is even conscience. Let's assume she is.

The Half-sister-in-law, is T65 next month apparently. My client says in the voicemail, that she wants me to go to the hospital, and write a Plan G medsupp on her.

Is there any law that would prevent me from doing this?

If the half-sister could apply online why would she not be able to apply with you? However, if the half-sister is not conscious and the other sister could apply online, who wants the charge of fraud?

That’s an interesting one . If she is conscious there’s no issue as it’s Gi . If unconscious I highly doubt you can do . On one side it’s her Gi right for med sup coverage . On the other side she can’t legally sign . I as the agent wouldn’t touch it . But I as a family member would do an online app for them . It’s Gi so the claims would be paid

thank you for your responses.
Isn't there something about "sales activities" being prohibited in a hospital patient room?

I can't find it anywhere in an agent handbook/guide, but I feel like I read that somewhere. maybe AHIP?

Has she given power of attorney to anyone? Pretty common if entering a hospital for them to have already been asked this and maybe even taken care of it.

Isn't there something about "sales activities" being prohibited in a hospital patient room?

I can't find it anywhere in an agent handbook/guide, but I feel like I read that somewhere. maybe AHIP?
Since it's GI, it shouldn't be a problem with her signing in the hospital.

If she can't sign it herself, your client needs to get POA for her half-sister-in-law, so she can sign for her since it's not underwritten.

Marketing activity and "they requested to enroll and have me come here" are different.

Being in the hospital should not prevent you from being able to enroll in health insurance.

At the same time - I'd float the idea of a phone call and e-signature (or voice sig) and ask a question or two prior to making a trip to a hospital during AEP.

Caveat, NOT an agent.

If you saw an AHIP requirement for MAPD, it's possible that requirement may not apply to Medigap.

And, I see two recent posts since I saw the thread that address the other comment I had, if the sick person is unconscious, does someone have a healthcare or other type of power of attorney that would allow them to sign on the sick person's behalf?

Similar but different . . .

I took a T65 app for Dec 1 on a guy in ICU on a ventilator. His wife has POA and signed off on the coverages (Medigap + PDP) . . . all handled by phone & email + electronic apps.

Medigap approved the next day . . . PDP should be approved as well.

I have no intention of going to a hospital unless a VERY close relative needs me.

Yeah, since you took AHIP, that is where you read it. Only applies to MA & PDP products, not Med Supps.

Back