Is This Life Insurance?

I have noticed that when I call D-Leads (who most the time don't remember filling out the lead card) about their request for more information about mortgage protection one of the objections they give is they ask "is this life insurance?"

I am wondering

1. Why they are asking this?
2. I was told 'life insurance' has a negative connotation - why is that?

Hard to know without knowing what you're saying. Cards usually don't say life insurance or annuities because of preconceived notions, and neither should your verbiage when scheduling a dropoff time. :1cool:

The only problem with ceding that it's life insurance... is that you're talking about what life insurance IS... rather than what life insurance DOES.

And then you let your prospect's understanding of what THEY think life insurance IS... to dominate the response.

David, I have a great deal of respect for what you do here. Your insight, instruction and advice is invaluable.

I don't disagree with what you posted other than to say the take away can be quite effective if done properly.

I employ the take away quite often. Sometimes it is to quickly get rid of someone who will merely waste my time. Other times the intent is to engage them in conversation, flush out any objections they may have, so we can move on.

It doesn't happen as often as it did in my prior life (working with U65 health insurance) but there are a number of folks out there that have no use for insurance carriers. They think all carriers are money grabbing thieves.

Sometimes I let them get it out of their system so we can move forward. More often than not my response is "Sorry to have bothered you. It does not appear that I can help you. Good luck."

And I hang up.

On at least one occasion they called me back and effectively asked if we could start over again. Another time the lady called me back to let me know she wasn't through stating her opinion. I told her it didn't matter if she was through or not, I was busy and did not have time to listen.

A short while later her husband called, was very apologetic for his wife's attitude, and asked if I would be willing to help him.

They both became clients but I never again had to deal with her, only with him.

David, I have a great deal of respect for what you do here. Your insight, instruction and advice is invaluable.

I don't disagree with what you posted other than to say the take away can be quite effective if done properly.

I employ the take away quite often. Sometimes it is to quickly get rid of someone who will merely waste my time. Other times the intent is to engage them in conversation, flush out any objections they may have, so we can move on.

It doesn't happen as often as it did in my prior life (working with U65 health insurance) but there are a number of folks out there that have no use for insurance carriers. They think all carriers are money grabbing thieves.

Sometimes I let them get it out of their system so we can move forward. More often than not my response is "Sorry to have bothered you. It does not appear that I can help you. Good luck."

And I hang up.

On at least one occasion they called me back and effectively asked if we could start over again. Another time the lady called me back to let me know she wasn't through stating her opinion. I told her it didn't matter if she was through or not, I was busy and did not have time to listen.

A short while later her husband called, was very apologetic for his wife's attitude, and asked if I would be willing to help him.

They both became clients but I never again had to deal with her, only with him.

Preach it.

When asked regarding FE, I would usually respond with something like, "Yes, its life insurance designed to pay for your burial and other final expenses."

I have no problem saying its life insurance, but I do want to remind them why they inquired and why we are talking.

I have noticed that when I call D-Leads (who most the time don't remember filling out the lead card) about their request for more information about mortgage protection one of the objections they give is they ask "is this life insurance?"

I am wondering

1. Why they are asking this?
2. I was told 'life insurance' has a negative connotation - why is that?

You also may need to run this by someone that specializes in mortgage protection.
For FE, for example, the common theme among the top producers is less is more. Travis posted a while back about the objective is coordinating a time to get them the information they requested and anything outside of that is outside the scope of the call.
They may want to know if it's life insurance simply because they already have life insurance. Unless you sell it all by phone, that's a great discussion for when you're sitting down. :cool:

Back