Is This Possible?

captain94

Guru
100+ Post Club
I just went indy and switched to Medicare. I was a captive agent in the underage health side. I made very good money but was unhappy with the products so I left to start over. I need to make a certain amount of money to survive ( about $800-$900 per week) is this possible in the medicare market or did i bite off more than I can chew? I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

Wow, good luck.

You are looking at the "leads" equation in a scewed manner. If you view them as a "cost" - they may seem overpriced.

If you view them correctly as an "investment", and you measure your return on investment - you'll probably (or should) come to a different conclusion...

I have had better luck cold calling to make sales.. I set my best appointments. Ive tried buying telemarketed leads, internet leads, and direct mail leads. I always make sales on them but enough to break even on the investment. I understand investing into your own business but I want to net the return on the investment.

I assume you're not cold-calling for Medicare Advantage plans, which is not allowed, big time.

If you're cold-calling for Medicare Supplements, it's "a numbers game" for as long as you can stand the rejections.

In this field (as well as many others) it's much better to have a wide-ranging personal marketing plan that also includes strategic partnerships, public relations, public speaking and community involvement as well as the cold-calling.

Thanks for the tip... No im not cold calling for MA only for Med Supps. I can cold call for about 3 hours every morning 8am to 11 am then run my appointments getting 1 appointment an hour. 3 per day 6 days a week 18 per week. it is very tough at times but i stay motivated by knowing that no appointments= no sales=no money to pay my bills...

I just went indy and switched to Medicare. I was a captive agent in the underage health side. I made very good money but was unhappy with the products so I left to start over. I need to make a certain amount of money to survive ( about $800-$900 per week) is this possible in the medicare market or did i bite off more than I can chew? I am only cold calling for my appointments (not a fan of over priced leads)

It's possible to make that much. Write 3 med-supps a week and you would equal or exceed your requirements.

Now getting certain companies(M of O, AARP), to pay you in a timely matter is a bigger question.

Thanks for the tip... No im not cold calling for MA only for Med Supps. I can cold call for about 3 hours every morning 8am to 11 am then run my appointments getting 1 appointment an hour. 3 per day 6 days a week 18 per week. it is very tough at times but i stay motivated by knowing that no appointments= no sales=no money to pay my bills...

Sounds like you have balls and the proper motivation (starvation). Nothing motivates like terror of failure. Been there done that!:) Based upon what you told us and your experience I believe you can and WILL succeed. Just keep your noise to the grindstone.

Last edited:
Thanks...Medicare is a diffrent world...I have been in the business for 5 years with a captive company selling underage and some medicare...I realized that medicare has a much better persistancy rate and better refferals. And got tired of all the BS you have to do with a captive company and you dont own anything you write as they now will not pay me any renewals on my business i wrote with them (20 years to vest) I think Indy is the way to go to really help you clients and be able to offer the best products and own your business. BUT, its not easy....lol

Back