Is Using a Dialer Worth my Money?

blakehathaway

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, feel free to direct me to a previous post on this topic if been discussed before...

I am an Independent P and C agent who acquires 75% of my business through cold calling lists. So far, my data is telling me every 100 calls, I will sell 1-2 policies. Therefore, wouldn't logic tell me to invest in a Dialer that could theoretically increase my daily outbound calls from 100 to 300-400? Would that not directly increase sales? What do I need to take into account here? And what companies would best suit a young agency with only myself bringing in the NB?

Thanks!

You have to understand that the American consumer is so sick of telemarketers that they are more likely to hang up and block your number as soon as they recognize a robo-call. That's what I do.

Last edited:
I agree. Do these services use their own weird number or are you able to use your own business number?

Also, you know those calls you get where you pick up, say hello, then seemingly 5 seconds later, someone will pick up and give some stupid pitch.. Is that what this is? Will there be a massive delay in between prospect picking up and me saying hello?

o these services use their own weird number or are you able to use your own business number?

I'm guessing you have a choice.

Also, you know those calls you get where you pick up, say hello, then seemingly 5 seconds later, someone will pick up and give some stupid pitch.. Is that what this is?

Yes, I think so.

Will there be a massive delay in between prospect picking up and me saying hello?

Might not be as long as 5 seconds but the interval is certainly perceptible while the machine lets you know that somebody is on the line.

You might have a slight advantage by coming to the phone personally instead of using a recorded announcement. I really hate those recordings about my warranty expiring on my 10 year old car.

What's your pitch when you do get somebody on the phone? What do you say to get them interested?

Hi this is Blake from X ins agency, how are you. Are you still at this address? May i send you a quote blah blah.. something along those lines.

One or two policies out of 100 calls is a bit light. Your opening might need some work.

When I sold life insurance back in the stone age (yeah, I'm that old), I took a sales training course. One of the things I remember is that you ask your prospect questions, as early as possible, that are more likely to be answered yes than no. You get your prospect used to saying yes as much as possible.

"Hi, I'm Jack. Would you like to spend less money on your car insurance?"

That should get a yes answer. And it's already obvious that you are an insurance agent. You don't have to say so.

Another thing I learned is that you don't ask for permission, you assume you already have it.

"Great. I can come to your house at 6 PM Friday or 10 AM Saturday. Which would you prefer?"

There, you are giving the prospect a choice between two items instead of the opportunity to say no to just one.

You're also making a personal commitment to the prospect. You are rarely going to sell policies by sending out quotes. They can get quotes online from dozens of places.

If the prospect picks a time, he's made a commitment to you and then you get briefly get into verifying his address. If you don't have quoting software that you carry with you, you can get details about his cars and drivers.

OK, what if he doesn't choose an appointment and says I'm happy with my current insurance.

"No problem. Please take my phone number and keep me in mind for when your renewal comes up and your rates increase."

There are many other sales techniques worth learning. Consider taking a sales course. The agents here might be able to suggest a good one.

"Hi, I'm Jack. Would you like to spend less money on your car insurance?"

Depending on the primary company you're representing (as EVERY independent agent has a primary preferred company of one kind or another), you may want to ask an either/or question.

"Before we talk about what we can do, I need to find out what kind of insurance buyer you are. Do you:
A) prefer the lowest price that your lender will let you get away with?
B) prefer a company with a higher price but will be there for you year-in and year-out?

The reason I'm asking is, while I can quote you several companies, we've found that our happiest clients are those who choose the relationship to be long-term. Also, our preferred company (XYZ) made the decision early in its founding to be the company of choice for those who want that long-term relationship rather than trying to play the "cut rate" game. And you're sure glad they made that decision, aren't you?

So, which would you say you are?"

(Got this from Zig Ziglar's "Sell Your Way to the Top".)

Open ended questions. No, yes or no questions. Harder to do with car insurance to be frank, but if you are selling 1 to 2 per hundred dials, you are killing it.

I talk to a ton of people and there are always a couple things people are ticked of about there insurance. What are yours? Maybe it is gap or a need for renters or an umbrella for just a few extra bucks. Don't know p and c, but do not lead with an open ended questions. That said if you are closing at that rate roll with it, to u are doing great things, but yes on the dialer. It will make your life easier.

I have a totally awesome Agent CRM with a Power Dialer. You set it up with a voicemail and a text message that is sent if they don’t answer. It is the bomb .com. Here’s a link to check it out.
I don’t have to leave a million messages and text works, don’t have to leave a million of those either.

Back