Is Windows 8 Better Than Windows &?

carol369

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm looking into getting a new, faster laptop. Is Windows 8 better? I can get one a little cheaper going with Windows 7. Both are brand new. Not really too much difference in price.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Carol :1smile:

If you're getting a touch screen, get Win 8. If you're not getting a touch screen, get Win 8 anyway. For those of us who were used to 7, the change to 8 really isn't a big deal. 8 can be set to work much like 7 (boot directly to desktop instead of start screen, etc). After a week with 8, you won't even think about the differences.

I'm looking into getting a new, faster laptop. Is Windows 8 better? I can get one a little cheaper going with Windows 7. Both are brand new. Not really too much difference in price. What are your thoughts? Thanks! Carol :1smile:

Windows 8 is terrible for about a week. Then it's fine.

Have you found any compatibility issues with insurance software or management systems? I know most of the systems are online based, just curious though as all my work computers are Win 7 and I'm considering pickup up a laptop.

I just use the desk top mode on my surface. I needed to use my old non touch screen Laptop on an appointment a while back. What a difference. Never going back.

Edit: in contrast I did an eapp at a client's home last week. She used the stylus and just tapped through it in a couple minutes. Touchscreen for the win.

Last edited:
So you like the Surface? I've seen them advertised but haven't seriously shopped yet. They look good.

I do. I have the Surface Pro. So it is a couple generations older than the newest version. Nice removable keyboard. I have it in a dock and use an external 22" external monitor. Can not go back to a single monitor either. I have a USB cd player if i need to load software off of a CD. Out of the dock and into may case in under a minute instant on in the appointment.

Wino, re: the surface, don't they only come in a somewhat smaller size? (12" or so is largest screen?) Do you use them for any presentations, etc... or what is your main use in the field?

I've been thinking of a touchscreen laptop lately...but 12" is just too small for me. My 15.4" is perfect, so would have to be another brand of touchscreen vs a surface.

Wino, re: the surface, don't they only come in a somewhat smaller size? (12" or so is largest screen?) Do you use them for any presentations, etc... or what is your main use in the field?

I've been thinking of a touchscreen laptop lately...but 12" is just too small for me. My 15.4" is perfect, so would have to be another brand of touchscreen vs a surface.

I do not use screen presentations or even brochure much. I am more of legal pad presenter. I use it more for quoting, web searching, company access in the field. Oh and also my crm. I use printed company illustrations with some back ups on the desk top. But mostly ink and paper. Lately I have also used it for Like sagicor. I believe they are 12" only. A 14" would be cool. My old 15 Dell seemed like a wall between us.

Back