Issues with Carriers not paying commissions on time

Anthem BC BS in OH can be sketchy on comp. I've had maybe 10 over the years that I didn't get comp on, called in, and they were like, "Oh, boy oh boy, we didn't have you listed as AOR, but you should be. Sorry about that! We'll fix it...."

Earlier this year, I got paid 2 years worth of MAPD comp on 2 clients...

I have a new policy now. Each March, I'm auditing commissions for the prior year's comp. I think it's a waste of time for an agent to do it monthly, but one big audit where you take 2 days and go through each carrier commission statements and ensure that they match with your CRM's sales, makes a lot of sense.

Don’t let these cases get too old. UHC had a policy ( might still) of not paying for their errors if they were over 6 months old. Of course that didn’t apply if the error was in your favor.

Well, that's a bummer...

Seems like they should be willing to correct any error, regardless of age.... thanks for the heads up.

I recently audited my book of business and suddenly noticed that Humana had not paid me any commissions on 17 new enrollments!! This included 4 PDP plans, 2 Med supps and 11 MAPD Plans. I was very pleased with my commissions from 2018’s AEP, which I received throughout January but since March of this year, I have only been receiving my Humana renewals each month, but none of the commissions on any of the new business I have written with them since AEP ended. This has happened before-and it only happens with Humana. I discovered this only just a month ago, which means Humana hasn’t paid me on any of my new business for the past 6 months! I can’t believe I didn’t notice sooner. I’m so pissed. I discovered this almost a month ago and It still has not been corrected!
Audit your Humana commissions!! They are trying to rip people off!!
I had a similar experience earlier this year. 2 of the MAPD's I did last AEP, both were new to MA...never got paid on them. I didnt realize it until sometime in April, I requested an audit. It took a bit of time, but they paid me.

I’ve only ever had the issue with Humana on paper apps. The person entering the apps put them under house accounts (I did almost exclusively paper apps my first 2 years). I’m on Enrollment Hub with them now, so I’m HOPING that they will go through correctly, but I keep a spreadsheet of everything I write with each company so I can check when my commission statements come out. Takes less than a minute after a sale to enter into spreadsheets and check against commission statements when they come out.

Side note. Wellcare paid me all last year on an MAPD for someone across the country where I’m not licensed & I couldn’t ge them to quit.

Last edited:
I really hope that other carriers besides Humana aren't stiffing agents. I just don't have the time or inclination to audit my commissions. I would say I've looked at maybe two commission statements in the past five years.

Back