It Does Not Look Good for Agents Selling Medicare Supplements.

Jack C...

Expert
It does not look good for Insurance Agents selling Health Insurance (including Medicare Supplements)

Was told that when all is said and done, Medicare Supplement commissions will be 3% to 5%.at most.

I have now talked to 2 people that have said the same thing, one is a Senior V.P of a Major Insurance Company, and the other is a good friend of mine who is retired, but was in the Insurance business for over 30 years, including being a State Insurance Commissioner for part of that time. Both have basically told me the following:
Medicare Supplement commissions will eventually be 3 to 5 % max, as Medicare Supplements will be required to be guaranteed issue, and will have to abide to the 80% to 85% rule in the new Health Reform just passed (85% of the premiums collected must be paid back to actual claims). That leaves just 15% profit for the Insurance Company, so at most 3% to 5 % will be passed along to the Agent..

They both told me that while I still have renewals coming in from previous sales,(before they are cut) that now is the time to find a new line of Insurance to sell, or a new line of work,

Last edited:
Re: It Does Not Look Good for Agents Selling Medicare Supplements

It does not look good for Insurance Agents selling Health Insurance (including Medicare Supplements)

Was told that when all is said and done, Medicare Supplement commissions will be 3% to 5%.at most.

But when will it be all said and done???

I advise all agents that are currently selling health insurance to get out NOW! Leave! (Especially in Oh and Pa). There is no hope. Ya gotta love Cornell. I hope they beat UK! You will starve if you stay in the business. Go sell disability coverage before it is too late.

I advise all agents that are currently selling health insurance to get out NOW! Leave! (Especially in Oh and Pa). There is no hope. Ya gotta love Cornell. I hope they beat UK! You will starve if you stay in the business. Go sell disability coverage before it is too late.

Hold on about this Cornell beating UK business. I love the underdog too, but, this time it's different!!:biggrin:

There is little doubt that going forward, there will be continuing downward pressure on all costs - including agent compensation - in U65 health insurance as well as medicare supplement and advantage.

I got out of U65 insurance in 2008. Seems there is noware to hide.

jd...I just realized you're from Ky. Yes...it would be a colossal upset.

Speaking of colossal upsets, my old school (Miami) played UK pretty tough early in the year. We were at the game and unfortunately, witnessed the winning shot at the buzzer.

jd...I just realized you're from Ky. Yes...it would be a colossal upset.

Speaking of colossal upsets, my old school (Miami) played UK pretty tough early in the year. We were at the game and unfortunately, witnessed the winning shot at the buzzer.

I was at that game too. That was John Wall's first game and his introduction to the college world. He hit the game winning shot in his first ever D-1 game.

Mark Coury now plays for Cornell and is a former UK player. I would be all for Cornell if they weren't playing my Cats.

Back