It Looks Like Health Insurance, but It’s Not. ‘Just Trust God,’ Buyers Are Told.

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
It Looks Like Health Insurance, but It’s Not. ‘Just Trust God,’ Buyers Are Told.

Yes, Christian health share ministries have been re-hashed on here a lot, but isn't this kgmom quoted here?

“These plans offer a false sense of security,” said Jenny Chumbley Hogue, who runs an insurance agency in the north Dallas area of Texas. She refuses to offer them to her clients.
"Just Trust God"... I have no trouble trusting God, but I do have a problem trusting some of the charlatans that claim to operate in His name.. :skeptical:

These plans were a fairly good patch before Short Term became available again. Moving forward I would be very careful selling a NON-INSURANCE Plan when Real Health Insurance plans are readily available.

Yes, Christian health share ministries have been re-hashed on here a lot, but isn't this kgmom quoted here?

“These plans offer a false sense of security,” said Jenny Chumbley Hogue, who runs an insurance agency in the north Dallas area of Texas. She refuses to offer them to her clients.

I’ve been a member of Samaritan Ministries in the past and am currently a member of Christian Healthcare Ministries. I’ve had absolutely no trouble getting either of them to do exactly what they say they’ll do. Under Samaritan, my wife underwent expensive major surgery for which we paid exactly $0 out of pocket. We only changed to CHM because they would cover some pre-ex for her that Samaritan would not. CHM was also on the ball when she had cataract surgery a couple years ago, even sending a check in advance to pay the surgical facility, who would not schedule her until she’d paid in full.

I do have concerns with some of the newer plans out there who seem to be more of a business than a ministry. They seem mainly designed to skirt insurance regs. I even came across one “ministry” that doesn’t require any religious affiliation, so how is that a ministry?

As far as the ministries that existed pre-ACA, I’ve either been a member (as I mentioned), or have known people who have been a member of the larger ones for at least 25 years. I’ve never heard a single complaint. I’ll admit getting bills covered takes a little more work than just showing an insurance card at the medical provider, but they perform exactly as described in the membership materials.

People often quoted in these articles as having issues seem to have not done due diligence when joining. If you read the membership materials, you understand exactly what’s covered and what’s not. It’s not at all about “just trust God”. Yes, benefits are limited, and certainly not as rich as a Gold ACA plan, but these ministries fill a definite need.

Now, having said all that, as a state licensed insurance agent, I’m not at all comfortable recommending these plans to clients, even though I’m a member. My reason isn’t out of concern for their inferiority, though. I just think, in agreement with Samaritan Ministries’ stated opinion, that having insurance agents and brokers offering these programs creates confusion about their nature and legal status. I also think an insurance agent who directly signs people up for such a ministry runs a real risk for future E&O claims from clients (who we all have) with selective memories about what you may or may not have disclosed.

HealthBroker said:

Moving forward I would be very careful selling a NON-INSURANCE Plan when Real Health Insurance plans are readily available.

Define "Real Health Insurance plans." To me, they must be ACA-compliant/major medical. STM doesn't cover pre-x ever, and fixed indemnity not for a year.

HealthBroker said:

Moving forward I would be very careful selling a NON-INSURANCE Plan when Real Health Insurance plans are readily available.

Define "Real Health Insurance plans." To me, they must be ACA-compliant/major medical. STM doesn't cover pre-x ever, and fixed indemnity not for a year.

To me the only thing that is a REAL health insurance plan is a major medical plan that is guaranteed renewable to age 65. Anything that only signs you up for 3-years is not anything I would ever consider unless I just needed something short-term between jobs like it's intended for.

I don't know how ministry programs work but if they aren't regulated by the state department of insurance I would be very afraid of them. Maybe if I could see that they have huge cash reserves built up I would look into it but there would have to be a good logical reason why they just don't become a fraternal and be a real state regulated health insurance company.

Newby said:

To me the only thing that is a REAL health insurance plan is a major medical plan that is guaranteed renewable to age 65. Anything that only signs you up for 3-years is not anything I would ever consider unless I just needed something short-term between jobs like it's intended for.

I've seriously considered selling (and have been appointed to do so) STM and fixed indemnity, but am afraid of getting sued. I sleep very well at night, selling MA and MS.

My State (PA) DOI Commissioner doesn't like STM, and suspended 12 producer licenses a couple years back as the plans weren't explained well. People "thought" they had major medical. Not worth the risk, imo. I've had both before, but understood the risks, but if someone wants it, I'm happy to pass them along to someone else.

I don't know how ministry programs work but if they aren't regulated by the state department of insurance I would be very afraid of them. Maybe if I could see that they have huge cash reserves built up I would look into it but there would have to be a good logical reason why they just don't become a fraternal and be a real state regulated health insurance company.
Unless things have changed recently, you are not going to find those plans. I don't know when the last time I saw a guaranteed renewable major medical plan. Almost all changed to renewal at the option of the company giving the company the right to cancel by class.

STM's at nat gen have served my clients well. Covered when they should, and not covered when they shouldn't.

Since we only have mostly HMOs in the ACA market, the STM PPOs have been the saving grace for clients who become very sick, like cancer that is not pre ex.

I can give you a hundred scenarios where ACA is better, and a hundred where STMs are better. Hint: Network is the reason.

But, STM is an alternative to being uninsured, and for those in good health and not eligible for APTC under ACA. Period.

Yagents said:

STM's at nat gen have served my clients well. Covered when they should, and not covered when they shouldn't.

I've heard Nat Gen i good if you're going the STM route. However, they left PA a couple years ago and so far, haven't come back.

Back