It Really Doesnt Matter Where or How You Advertise

jdobbs

I have been in the marketing industry for almost 8 years now. I have worked selling yellowpages, I have owned my own small business, and I was the founder of a very large SEO/SEM company that served hundreds of organizations all over the country.

The one thing that I learned in my years is that there are many great avenues available to business owners to advertise with. Any marketing is good marketing if it is doing what it is supposed to do.
People create conclusions of what the best marketing is using anecdotal data rather than cold hard facts. How do you really know how many people actually called you from your SEO or SEM? How do you know if you are losing potential customers because someone answered the phone in your office and just didn't care.

My point is, it really doesn't matter where you market, as long as you market smart. You do this by collecting good data that tells a story about what the outcome really is when you send out 10,000 post cards or buy 200 clicks from Google. Did you actually have interested prospects call you from this and were you able to convert them into customers?

Google analytics is a great tool to track web traffic on your site and I highly recommend it. I have some friends that are developing another tool that takes this one step further. It is called CallGrader and like GA, it is free. I would combine both of these products to any online marketing campaign to get the complete picture of what is really happening. Collecting both online and offline data will give you a huge competitive edge and put you strides ahead of your competition.

I hope this post was informative and happy marketing to you!

it really doesn't matter where you market, as long as you market smart.

that's true. if you market smart, then you should be able to keep your cost (and time being used for marketing) down and focus that time and energy elsewhere.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Of course...you want to have a good place to market to begin with.

...would definitely make things easier :)

Last edited:
I agree. ROI is ROI.

Sometimes I forget that. My head is so deep into Internet marketing that I forget that it is about making money and not getting good rankings.

We get good ROI from postcards and some other offline marketing efforts. Even though the return on some of these things is good, I forget to repeat them as frequently as I should.

I've got to be more consistent with some of the old school stuff that still works. I guess I'll make that a 2012 resolution.

Back