It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
For the most part it seems like agents on here (and offline as well) are understandably upset about the way MLR has impacted their commissions. On the other hand, I have a bunch of agents telling me that they're doing great with this. In fact, one agent the other day told me about his current production and bonuses and thought these plans were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Is there any silver lining to it? Is the opportunity just in certain areas/markets or are the people saying it's still a good business you can make a lot of money in living in a dream world?

For the most part it seems like agents on here (and offline as well) are understandably upset about the way MLR has impacted their commissions. On the other hand, I have a bunch of agents telling me that they're doing great with this. In fact, one agent the other day told me about his current production and bonuses and thought these plans were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Is there any silver lining to it? Is the opportunity just in certain areas/markets or are the people saying it's still a good business you can make a lot of money in living in a dream world?

Well, if you want perspective, when I was running my association years back, all I hear from agents (hundreds) was how difficult it was to make money and most of them wanted to throw their computers out the window due to UW.

A few made it. A small percentage. So a very small percentage made it pre-MLR and a small percentage make it now.

The difference? Don't see one.

2014 will bring opportunity, especially off the exchange. On exchange remains to be seen. Too many questions remain to say if that is a viable market.

Going forward, I don't see agents making money under Obamacare rules beyond 3 years.

Back