Its 2013, Does Anyone Still Make $$ from DM??

summerof18

Guru
100+ Post Club
I know that the return on DM has dropped, is it still worth spending $400 and up on 1,000 mailers for FE or Medicare?

How often a month are you sending out a 1,000 to end up making a consitent income??

Thank you!

I know that the return on DM has dropped, is it still worth spending $400 and up on 1,000 mailers for FE or Medicare?

How often a month are you sending out a 1,000 to end up making a consitent income??

Thank you!

To make a consistent income off of direct mail, you'll have to spend some $$. You'll need to mail at least 5000/month, or find something else to do.

I made a little money off of direct mail, but found that I detested calling people off of reply cards. It sort of comes down to preference. Agents that are good at cold calling, lead jockeying, lead generation of any stripe will all do well.

The last stack of reply cards that I received, I handed to someone else to call. You may really like it and think it's delightful.

Thank you!

I only prospect for FE and the only way I prospect is with DM reply cards. Works for me.

Direct mail calls or cards - I assume you mean cards, and that my friend is awesome by the way

What type of demographics ? age income etc.. Lead Connections or Main Street ?

they were medicare mailers actually... i print them in house... i don't ever call for an appointment, just drop by and see them... too easy to say no over the phone. sold life, medicare advantage, med supp, home/auto last week, so was a good product mix

they were medicare mailers actually... i print them in house... i don't ever call for an appointment, just drop by and see them... too easy to say no over the phone. sold life, medicare advantage, med supp, home/auto last week, so was a good product mix

That is quite incredible. You get people to commit, on the spot, by showing up at their houses? How do you dress for the occasion? If I was going to do that, I'd put on a mail man's uniform.

Thank you for your input! And congrats on those sales! So if I mail out say 4,000 mailers a month, and spend about $1600 on those DM, you think that's a good amount to spend a month on your business to be successful?? Im basically trying to figure out what the pratical amount of money an agent needs or should spend a month on their leads to be successful??

That is quite incredible. You get people to commit, on the spot, by showing up at their houses? How do you dress for the occasion? If I was going to do that, I'd put on a mail man's uniform.

Oh yeah, I don't "come back" for anyone. Most everyone I sell I am saving them money, so if they don't want to do it with me day 1, sleeping on it isn't going to help them decide they'd like to save money.

I used to be all suits, but now I go out in khakis and a golf shirt. Sometimes I'll wear suit pants and a button down. 7 yrs ago I went on a call with flip flops and obnoxious swim trunks and sold it, so I've kind of decided that if you know your business very well, people are more swayed by what you know. Same for cars, bosses used to tell me I would sell more if I drove a nicer car. Whether I take the BMW or the old honda, it's all the same
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you for your input! And congrats on those sales! So if I mail out say 4,000 mailers a month, and spend about $1600 on those DM, you think that's a good amount to spend a month on your business to be successful?? Im basically trying to figure out what the pratical amount of money an agent needs or should spend a month on their leads to be successful??

It all depends on the type of mail piece you use, and what percent you close, and what product you are selling. I always tell reps to take half of what they make, and put it back into leads until they have enough money in the bank, or until they can't physically work any more leads.

Most people that aren't successful in this business either don't have the right products, or they don't get in front of enough people. My guess is more fall into category 2 than 1.

Last edited:
Back