It's My Second AEP - Seeking Advice/ Tips

Experienced Agents ONLY - I've been in the Insurance Sales Business Full-Time since September 2013. This is my Second AEP. I have written well over 500 Life/ Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplements Plans, PDP, and more. Here's my question....I still feel like a Newby! My money just started to feel good last year, 4 years in...

Last AEP, I wrote for pretty much ONE CARRIER. This year, I am playing the Broker Game, BIG TIME. I am simply looking for the best plan for the individual. However, I am also wondering how this plays out in the long game.

Is it best to keep all your business with one or two carriers? Or is it wiser to spread it around??

Just stick to what's best for the clients. When focusing on one single solution or carrier you are limiting yourself and possibly not doing what is best for the clients. If you are always focused on them they will get you referrals and your business will grow much faster. The money will come. The more your trusted the more your business will grow.

Long run... Make sure to market, keep in touch, ask for referrals, and cross-sell but only when it suits the client and you will make great money. Don't forget to change with the times :) Diversify and adapting will be important as times change.

Hard work pays off!

It’s something that takes some time to figure out but you’ll eventually get tired of a company or two and narrow down a couple that you like.

For MAPD in FL I don’t write much Wellcare anymore because their network is horrible. I TRY not to write Careplus because they lose about half of my applications but now I can submit electronically so I’m doing more. I have about 5 Simply clients so I’m not writing them much and Freedom I just don’t seem to pull out of my bag much.

Uhc and Humana are my usual go to because their plans are pretty consistent every year, they have a robust network and they pay fast.
The same goes for Med supps here. I only write uhc and Humana. They have the lowest rates and uhc has a great rate history (FL not other states).

Just write what’s good for your client and you’ll be ok. But over time you’ll find that certain plans will be less headache for you and your clients.

It’s something that takes some time to figure out but you’ll eventually get tired of a company or two and narrow down a couple that you like.

For MAPD in FL I don’t write much Wellcare anymore because their network is horrible. I TRY not to write Careplus because they lose about half of my applications but now I can submit electronically so I’m doing more. I have about 5 Simply clients so I’m not writing them much and Freedom I just don’t seem to pull out of my bag much.

Uhc and Humana are my usual go to because their plans are pretty consistent every year, they have a robust network and they pay fast.
The same goes for Med supps here. I only write uhc and Humana. They have the lowest rates and uhc has a great rate history (FL not other states).

Just write what’s good for your client and you’ll be ok. But over time you’ll find that certain plans will be less headache for you and your clients.

You don't have Aetna MAPD in your area?

What about AvMed? They have a MAPD here in south Florida, but I don't know if they take agents.

You don't have Aetna MAPD in your area?

What about AvMed? They have a MAPD here in south Florida, but I don't know if they take agents.

I have Aetna. I don’t write their hmo at all but if someone values lots of doctors and the best dental and vision around, I’ll write their ppo.
You go to any dentist and get reimbursed up to $900 in about 3 weeks

I have spent time doing the one-company captive thing, so I know what that's like. I was limited to one company and selling against the other carriers. I think that's the biggest advantage of being independent now, and that's being able to work more for my clients' best interests instead of one company that basically owns me. I think I can do that best if I'm appointed with several carriers. I picked the three MAPD carriers that are most viable in my area regarding network, value proposition, etc. I've also got four Med Supp carriers. I think there's such thing as too much, but people seem to like the fact that I can help them buy rather than sell them one company.

I have Aetna. I don’t write their hmo at all but if someone values lots of doctors and the best dental and vision around, I’ll write their ppo.
You go to any dentist and get reimbursed up to $900 in about 3 weeks

I've become quite impressed with that company. They're expanding into several of my counties this year.

I have noticed that Humana does not pay the same as UHC for SEP business. It’s making me mad. I enrolled several people with an SEP in October, new to Medicare Advantage. UHC pays me after the trueup $455, Humana pays me $36 x 2. I feel ripped off by Humana over this. They are simply keeping my commission. BS

I have noticed that Humana does not pay the same as UHC for SEP business. It’s making me mad. I enrolled several people with an SEP in October, new to Medicare Advantage. UHC pays me after the trueup $455, Humana pays me $36 x 2. I feel ripped off by Humana over this. They are simply keeping my commission. BS

Based on what you said, they're prorating the commission, which they do for "like" and "unlike" plan changes for the initial commission if not "New to Medicare".

You said "New to Medicare Advantage", which is not the same thing as "New to Medicare".

Pretty sure the only MAPD SEP that's truly "New to Medicare" is coming off employer coverage, where the person delayed Medicare.

UHC doesn't pay full commission either if there's prior plan history.

If they had a PDP, that's prior plan history.

Haven't done Medicare long enough to know if a MedSupp, without a PDP, is also considered plan history.

Back