It's My Second AEP - Seeking Advice/ Tips

I have Aetna. I don’t write their hmo at all but if someone values lots of doctors and the best dental and vision around, I’ll write their ppo.
You go to any dentist and get reimbursed up to $900 in about 3 weeks

Aetna PPO also pays back some of their part B, which is a REALLY nice selling point... but I am limited in my MAPD experience.

Several other carriers have MAPDs that do so as well.

They don't do that in every state or county. Same with Humana in 2019, but only in select counties. I'm not even sure that's a good thing to offer. It kind of seems to me like a rebate and a distraction to the insurance they should be comparing. If I were on Medicare buying a plan it would be tempting to take a lower MOOP and higher copays if they were giving me free money like that, but then if I got cancer I'm afraid I would be wishing I'd bought the better network, MOOP, etc.

They don't do that in every state or county. Same with Humana in 2019, but only in select counties. I'm not even sure that's a good thing to offer. It kind of seems to me like a rebate and a distraction to the insurance they should be comparing. If I were on Medicare buying a plan it would be tempting to take a lower MOOP and higher copays if they were giving me free money like that, but then if I got cancer I'm afraid I would be wishing I'd bought the better network, MOOP, etc.

We have a plan with $110 rebate and $2500 moop

Based on what you said, they're prorating the commission, which they do for "like" and "unlike" plan changes for the initial commission if not "New to Medicare".

You said "New to Medicare Advantage", which is not the same thing as "New to Medicare".

Pretty sure the only MAPD SEP that's truly "New to Medicare" is coming off employer coverage, where the person delayed Medicare.

UHC doesn't pay full commission either if there's prior plan history.

If they had a PDP, that's prior plan history.

Haven't done Medicare long enough to know if a MedSupp, without a PDP, is also considered plan history.

UHC does pay Full Commissions for SEP business for PDP to MAPD. I know this because I have written more than 200 Dual SNP plans with them over the last 18 months or so. I just wrote a few in October with 11/1 effective dates and with my TrueUp I received $455. I also wrote some Humana and received two payments of $36. Humana is stealing my money as far as I’m concerned.

UHC does pay Full Commissions for SEP business for PDP to MAPD. I know this because I have written more than 200 Dual SNP plans with them over the last 18 months or so. I just wrote a few in October with 11/1 effective dates and with my TrueUp I received $455. I also wrote some Humana and received two payments of $36. Humana is stealing my money as far as I’m concerned.

Did the Dual people have prior plan history? Did they have a PDP or MAPD before? Or just Medicaid?

How are you marketing to Duals? Just curious.

That is a sweet deal, and I'm constantly amazed at the value propositions of some of Florida's plans. Nothing like that in western NC. People move up here from Florida and get sticker shock.

FLA is Heaven's waiting room. If you have something for seniors and not marketing in FL you are missing the mark. So much competition for their $$$ you have to put a lot of sizzle in that steak.

Not so much in other states.

the Medicare Premium reimbursement is big, and think will only become more prevalent as time goes on.
-this is my Second AEP, so im teeth in the bone right now. UHC is too big of a player to not have, Aetna and humana are really common. i dropped wellcare bc they were miserable last year. Its life golfing, how many clubs could a professional really need....certainly more than 1 however!

-but as far as MA plans and overall book as a whole. it depends on a variety of factors. what other types of plans are you selling? do you offer a lot of Med Supplements clients as well as MA? are you current in residuals or are you relying on new business for cashflow? do you write ancillaries? how much FE do you normally close? all these things have to be taken into consideration, ive found there seems to be a sweet spot with being diversified. spread too broadly you'll start racking up debit balances here and there and the CXLs will eat up your residuals(sad). as well as making sure you're not intermingling any topically high cxl rate plans(ex: FE) with a major carrier you normally write for your other business.

the Medicare Premium reimbursement is big, and think will only become more prevalent as time goes on.
-this is my Second AEP, so im teeth in the bone right now. UHC is too big of a player to not have, Aetna and humana are really common. i dropped wellcare bc they were miserable last year. Its life golfing, how many clubs could a professional really need....certainly more than 1 however!

-but as far as MA plans and overall book as a whole. it depends on a variety of factors. what other types of plans are you selling? do you offer a lot of Med Supplements clients as well as MA? are you current in residuals or are you relying on new business for cashflow? do you write ancillaries? how much FE do you normally close? all these things have to be taken into consideration, ive found there seems to be a sweet spot with being diversified. spread too broadly you'll start racking up debit balances here and there and the CXLs will eat up your residuals(sad). as well as making sure you're not intermingling any topically high cxl rate plans(ex: FE) with a major carrier you normally write for your other business.

Hope you didn’t sell anyone with WellCare or bye bye renewals.
I’ve bern doing this for almost 10 years and I’ve learned to spread my biz out over many MAPD plans. And I never drop any so I can keep my money.

Hope you didn’t sell anyone with WellCare or bye bye renewals.
I’ve bern doing this for almost 10 years and I’ve learned to spread my biz out over many MAPD plans. And I never drop any so I can keep my money.
yea, i hadnt build a big enough book with them to keep it, maybe in the future, if they et their act together

Back