Jane & Robert...

Gotta love junk like that.

"Everyone within shouting distance of a consumer columnist knows that term life insurance is the smartest and best way of protecting your family."

"And stay away from cash-value insurance for family coverage unless, at the end of the term, it becomes your only choice."

Why is term life the smartest, why is cash-value bad? This woman doesn't even know what she is talking about, just repeating what she is told. We can argue all day long about the merits and flaws of cash-value life insurance. But it is sad to see someone parroting what they are told without any facts or statistics to back up their arguement.

Gotta love junk like that.

"Everyone within shouting distance of a consumer columnist knows that term life insurance is the smartest and best way of protecting your family."

"And stay away from cash-value insurance for family coverage unless, at the end of the term, it becomes your only choice."

Why is term life the smartest, why is cash-value bad? This woman doesn't even know what she is talking about, just repeating what she is told. We can argue all day long about the merits and flaws of cash-value life insurance. But it is sad to see someone parroting what they are told without any facts or statistics to back up their arguement.

Because she doesn't really think about what she says.

Let's start by looking at the little bits of humble pie she's choked down in the beginning:

In theory, you might assume that you won’t need insurance after 20 years. Your kids will be grown and you’ll have enough savings to support your spouse if you die prematurely. In practice (and after a lost investment decade), not many people fit that imaginary profile.

Now, look at this. What I consider to be the most ridiculous comment she makes:

So think about future coverage well before the end of the term. If you suspect that you won’t be able to pass a health exam, convert your term policy to cash-value coverage while you still can.

How in the hell am I ever going to know that. I went from being preferred best to likely standard at some insurance companies in the blink of an eye when my dad dropped dead of a heart attack without warning at 47 years old.

How many people do you know of who have health issues that likely make them rated to decline saw those problems coming way in advance of their arrival? I know none.

Most of this advice concerns making decisions based on information you and I don't have when we're making the decision. More life in a vacuum, in practice it rarely works out correctly stuff.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
he agent will show you a “reentry” price, but might not tell you that (1) it’s not guaranteed and (2) to get that coverage, you’ll have to pass a medical exam, says Bob Barney, president of Compulife Software, which provides agents with software for pricing term life insurance.

Don’t automatically buy from the same company that insures you now. Another insurer might be offering something cheaper. A good place for comparison shopping is the website Term4Sale.com - Term life insurance comparisons (over 100 companies)

Nice job Robert, is this an official endorsement?

Last edited:
Back