John Hancock LTC policy - will it cover assisted living?

Hawkeye_Pierce

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm trying to assist my father who is contemplating selling his home and moving to assisted living. His plan is to use his John Hancock LTC to (help) cover the costs. I've read a number of reviews of John Hancock LTC policies and they're not great. I'm just trying to assess whether or not this is even a viable option but they won't speak to me because I don't have POA.

Call with Dad in the room and ask specific questions about coverage and what documents they need in order to start claims on the policy. Unless Dad has lost at least some of the ADL's his policy will probably not kick in until he has lost some abilities

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm trying to assist my father who is contemplating selling his home and moving to assisted living. His plan is to use his John Hancock LTC to (help) cover the costs. I've read a number of reviews of John Hancock LTC policies and they're not great. I'm just trying to assess whether or not this is even a viable option but they won't speak to me because I don't have POA.

ALF is covered, however your dad has to be certified as being Chronically Ill.

That is correct - John Hancock is probably my favorite insurance carrier. I especially love them for their Vitality discounts on life insurance.

from this website page:

Vitality Program

John Hancock Vitality Program rewards and discounts are only available to the person insured under the eligible life insurance policy. Rewards and discounts are subject to change and are not guaranteed to remain the same for the life of the policy.​

My MIL has a John Hancock policy and it's covering the full cost of her ALF. And the claims process took 3 weeks. It was as easy as could be.

from this website page:

Vitality Program

John Hancock Vitality Program rewards and discounts are only available to the person insured under the eligible life insurance policy. Rewards and discounts are subject to change and are not guaranteed to remain the same for the life of the policy.​
That's Life Insurance Bob. A LTCi policy is what's being discussed. :yes:

John Hancock's policy is a good one and they pay their claims. Odds are that ALF is covered, but Dad needs to be benefits-eligible - needing assistance with 2 of 6 activities of daily living, or supervision due to a cognitive impairment. Where's the agent who sold him the policy? If he/she is still around, they should be helping you with this.

kpbdy99 raises a good point. The agent who sold you the policy should be there to help. My agent (Todd Grove in Maine) is apparently out of the business and doing something else. What do you do if your agent has closed up shop?

Back