Just a new motor or salvaged?

GregTX

I have VW van that took in water through the air intake due to driving through flooded streets of about 6 inches of water. So the engine, much less the interior, was never submerged in any water. But of course a lot of water got splashed up into the engine and it was enough to actually flood it to the extent that the engine must be replaced. It's dead. My insurance company marked it as a total loss, which blew me away. I am still waiting on their cash payout amount but I should hear back in a day or 2. So my question; since the car never sat in high water and the damage was contained to only the engine, which would be replaced, is there anyway I might be able to retain the van to replace the engine and not have to have a salvaged title? I mean, the engine is damaged, I replace it, and we keep driving it. Why does the vehicle have to be shown as "salvaged"?

If your insurance has declared it a total loss you can't control how the title will read. You can certainly purchase the vehicle from your insurance company and you will get some amount of payout plus the vehicle. You will have to insure it differently since the company has already "totaled" it. You won't be able to sell it in some states because any subsequent title will show it as salvage

Because it was declared as a total loss by the insurance company. Once the repairs hit the total loss threshold (typically around 75% of fair market value, although this can vary by state law and company policy), then it is a total loss. Most states require any vehicle that was declared a total loss to have a salvage or branded title.

So I just spoke to the adjuster and she said we could definitely do an owner retain for a relatively small price. She also said that in Texas, as long as the damage is less than 100% of the cash value, the title does not have to show salvaged. If it's really as simple as that then I'm good to go and we are going to buy the new motor. Fed up brought up a good point about insuring it though. I'll have to ask the adjuster about that when I call back tomorrow.

So here's the weirdest thing to me. And keep in mind I'm no expert on auto Insurance. They are willing to pay me $1800 more to total loss the car and sell it back to me, rather than keep that $1800 and just pay for the new motor. I'd like to know how that's better for them.

Back