Just an Observation...

joshril

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have been reading tons of threads the past couple of days asking about telemarketing scripts, internet leads, telemarketing leads, etc...

There is no silver bullet in this business. The people that work hard drive nice cars, the people that don't can't pay the electric bill. If you are going B2B or calling, as long as you are getting in front of people consistently, you will get appointments.

The same goes for any marketing method you are using. Some people only do internet leads, others seminars, and others telemarketing and B2B. The key to this business is finding whay you enjoy doing(or can force yourself to do) and go 200% in that direction.

I am not trying to bash any marketing threads as new ideas are always wonderful, I just think some new agents think there is some magic to selling insurance. Frankly, there is... it's called damn hard work!!

I had a sub-agent that quit on me because he wasn't selling and told me his leads were bad. I asked him what he called on after he worked his leads and he said that he quit for the week because the leads weren't working??? How does anyone expect to be successful with that type of work ethic!?? Not only that, but another agent followed up on those same leads and sold almost $12,000 AP.

It's all about being tenacious and working 80 hours per week if that's what it takes. The people that aren't successful are either terribly dumb and should be working at Wal-Donald's or they aren't even working a 40 hour week... maybe not even 20 hours...

I would have never got off the ground in this business had it not been for B to B. I didn't have money for hundreds of dollars a week in internet leads nor would it have mattered. When you're new trying to compete with seasoned agents is a big mistake.

It's hard enough to get off the ground without have close to thousands in lead expenses. Also, all leads suck - all of them. Telemarketed and internet leads are both horrible and you're lucky if 1 out of 15 is a deal. When you're new that can seem like a ton of work with little return. Mentally it seems like no one want to buy.

I personally did fantastic B to B however I've had many agents contact me over the past years telling me they got their butt kicked. I think what new agents have to understand is at least 80% of your time is going to be spent contacting potential clients - be it internet leads, telemarketing, B to B or doorhangers.

What I see all too often is a new agent getting 3 to 5 leads a day and.....well that's it. That's around an hour of work a day. So what about the other 7?

I took my family to Stone Cold Creamery last night at around 8:30 (I LOVE that place!) The owner was there (very nice lady) working her tail off next to 5 kids. They closed at 9pm, after break down, clean up and cashing out the owner probably got out of there at around 11pm....on a Sunday night.

We had three choices - Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen and Stone Cold - all about within a few miles of us. But my wife had a "buy one get one" coupon she clipped out from a local publication for Stone Cold so that's where we went. Wow....so you have to advertise?

So what are you doing for your business?

Joshril - You nailed it.

The other side of people not knowing what direction to go.

They go with the NAA who say they close 80% of the people they get in front of, MEGA says there is no reason that you shouldn't make $50K+ your first year, etc.

Leads (if you get them) should be about 20% of your sales. The rest should be referrals, your own marketing, etc.

Leads are the crack cocaine for health insurance agents. If you don't play your cards right you'll be calling leads 5 years into this business. They might be ok to get yourself off the ground but midwestbroker nailed it - they should make up a portion of your sales, not all of your sales.

You really need to re-invest money into your business locally and if you consistently do that over a period of time your phone will be ringing. After 4 years in the biz it's apparent that nothing will ever take the place of a community presence. And that takes a lot of hard work.

Great thread. I would add that you need to find multiple ways to get your name out there. Let's say you have five ways of prospecting; do them concurrently, and consistently.

Back