Just Checking .............. Twenty

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Joe works for a company that has group insuarance and less than 20 employees

Joe turns 65 and enrolls in Mcare A & B.

Two years later Joe retires.

His group coverage terminates at retirement.

His options are the GI rules (involuntary loss of coverage) or go through underwriting for any Medigap plan.

True or fales?

Joe works for a company that has group insuarance and less than 20 employees Joe turns 65 and enrolls in Mcare A & B. Two years later Joe retires. His group coverage terminates at retirement. His options are the GI rules (involuntary loss of coverage) or go through underwriting for any Medigap plan. True or fales?

True...........

Joe shouldn't have gone on Part B at 65, instead should have waited till he retired 2 years later and then have his Open Enrollment for Medigap....

Joe shouldn't have gone on Part B at 65, instead should have waited till he retired 2 years later and then have his Open Enrollment for Medigap....

Agreed, but from his standpoint why does it matter that he's GI instead of OE? It only matters for the agent's commission.

Rick

With fewer than 20 employees Medicare is primary, EGHP is secondary. If he doesn't take Part B when eligible at 65, the EGHP can exclude the 80% Medicare should have paid. That leaves him with very little coverage if he takes this advice.

----------

Joe works for a company that has group insuarance and less than 20 employees Joe turns 65 and enrolls in Mcare A & B. Two years later Joe retires. His group coverage terminates at retirement. His options are the GI rules (involuntary loss of coverage) or go through underwriting for any Medigap plan. True or fales?
True. Those are his options. I'll try for a Plan G if they can qualify, use GI F if declined.

It matters if he is unhealthy and wants a plan G or N.

Absolutely correct and CA is a different world. UHC generally is competitive on Plan N and will allow GI. And with birthday rule I can always move someone.

It's funny. In my training I point that out. In my practice it's meaningless.

Rick

TX answer (and I think its state specific question)...if he has Part B AND group coverage, he gets a guaranteed issue Med Supp.

Back