Just found out have colon cancer while in supplement open enrollment

Ben25

Hello

I signed up for Medicare Part B and for the cheapest Plan N, administered by Mutual of Omaha, I could find during the general enrollment period. I get my care through the VA but decided I wanted the option to go outside the VA, both the Part B and the Plan Ns start July 1st.

I had a colonoscopy at the VA a few weeks ago and it came back with 5 cancerous polyps.....

I'm thinking it makes sense to switch to a Plan G as long as I'm in open enrollment given the prospect of rather significant costs should I decide to go outside the VA for care.

I have not heard very many positive comments about Mutual of Omaha and dealing with a insurance company as I go forward is the last thing I want or need at this point in my life.

So I'm wondering if anyone might have a suggestion as to which supplement company out there is the most user friendly...

Thx

All supplement plans process claims the same way. One company cannot pay faster or better than any other company.

As far as switching, you are still in your initial enrollment period, so you are fine to switch. Mutual of Omaha is a very large medicare supplement company and I have many clients with them. Never had a problem, but then again I have never had any problems with any of the medicare supplement companies I represent, admittedly I stick with the "A" rated companies.

Regardless of Plan N or Plan G, you are wise in thinking Mutual of Omaha may not be the best "home" for your insurance. Because of the diagnosis you're going to be "stuck" with your supplement choice for at least 5 years. Mutual of Omaha has a history of doing the company "shuffle" where they are low priced for a few years but dramatically raise their rates as their book of business ages.

Many of us are licensed in Utah (including me) and can find you a quality company with a better track record of rate increases. As far as G vs N, you need to do that math. If chemo amounts to one visit every 3 weeks it may cause a $20 copay if an office visit is included. Should you not need chemo or radiation after surgery then then $20 is a moot point.

Sorry for the diagnosis and hope you can label yourself a survivor like so many others. Let me know if you need help.

Rick

Thanks for the responses.

I've been with USAA for my auto and homeowners insurance since they opened their membership to vets. I've had one significant claim on each policy and was very impressed with how quickly and hassle free they handled the claims.

USAA has a Plan N for about as much as the lowest cost Plan G's I've been quoted from companies I'm unfamiliar with. I'm considering possibly going with USAA primarily for the comfort level, in that given my situation whoever I go with is going to be it forever...and a Plan N may fit my needs going forward.

I realize all supplement companies are supposed to pay if medicare pays. The concern I have is from my experience with Veterans Choice many of the civilian providers occasionally screw up the codes. I'm concerned with having to call customer service of an unknown company and if they stink I'm stuck...

Don’t worry. Never had a payment issue with a supplement. If Medicare covers the service they all pay their share.

Rick
A medicare representative recently told me that Medicare does not send claim revisions to the medigap carriers. The medicare rep sent me a duplicate copy of the revised MSN in question to send to the Medigap carrier so they would have the correct information in their files. The issue came up because a provider, after 4-5 tries, finally got medicare to approve payment for an MSN line item which they previously denied several times.

Thanks for the responses.

I've been with USAA for my auto and homeowners insurance since they opened their membership to vets. I've had one significant claim on each policy and was very impressed with how quickly and hassle free they handled the claims.

USAA has a Plan N for about as much as the lowest cost Plan G's I've been quoted from companies I'm unfamiliar with. I'm considering possibly going with USAA primarily for the comfort level, in that given my situation whoever I go with is going to be it forever...and a Plan N may fit my needs going forward.

I realize all supplement companies are supposed to pay if medicare pays. The concern I have is from my experience with Veterans Choice many of the civilian providers occasionally screw up the codes. I'm concerned with having to call customer service of an unknown company and if they stink I'm stuck...

I deal with USAA as well. As you have already said, they are a bit steep with their med supps. Go with an independent agent who can get you the best bang for your buck with a good company. Don't spend extra money that you don't have to. For instance, if you have a choice of buying a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup and had two in front of you...one at $.59 and the other at $.79, you would logically pick the one at $.59. Same can, same soup. No difference but the price.

Later on down the line you may be 2 years free of cancer and can shop around again. Wouldn't you like to be able to call the agent that helped you to begin with to get him/her to help you again?

Ben25, you are most probably going to be ok with Plan N for your surgery. Down the road though, you probably will have premium increase issues with Mutual of Omaha. I would listen to GreenSkys advice in the above post. Greensky can sell you a Medicare supplemental Plan N or G that will have more stable premium increases over time.

A medicare representative recently told me that Medicare does not send claim revisions to the medigap carriers. The medicare rep sent me a duplicate copy of the revised MSN in question to send to the Medigap carrier so they would have the correct information in their files. The issue came up because a provider, after 4-5 tries, finally got medicare to approve payment for an MSN line item which they previously denied several times.
Thanks. Has nothing to do with his question but glad you had nothing better to do than to post this.

Rick

Back