Just getting started questions

dnbzac1

Hello, my first post of a new career path and I have a few questions and also looking for any guidance. I've been in sales my entire career-I'm 39 and now with a family I've decided to move to the insurance side of sales and let this be my final career choice. I love the art of selling but also enjoy meeting people and helping them as best I can and hope that translates well in this industry. My questions are:
1. I'm in RI and wonder if I should get my license first while still at my current job or answer one of the many interview offers I've been getting from local insurance co's?
2. Can you take the course online in my state?
3. What other advice for someone just starting out could you offer?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Re: Just getting started questions.

Hello, my first post of a new career path and I have a few questions and also looking for any guidance. I've been in sales my entire career-I'm 39 and now with a family I've decided to move to the insurance side of sales and let this be my final career choice. I love the art of selling but also enjoy meeting people and helping them as best I can and hope that translates well in this industry. My questions are:
1. I'm in RI and wonder if I should get my license first while still at my current job or answer one of the many interview offers I've been getting from local insurance co's?

Welcome.

Get used to everything being do-it-yourself and if you dont do it, it doesnt happen. You are in RI, not us. What did you find out from the department of insurance when you asked them if you can take the course online?

Winter

You can take it online-they didn't give me a site but still researching that. I've been an outside sales rep. for most of my sales career and am used to generating my own leads and marketing myself so that won't be anything new.

3. What other advice for someone just starting out could you offer? Thanks in advance for all your help.

1. First! Welcome to another mid-life crisis male career changer. I don't say that disparagingly but because I did the same thing when I was 38.
2. My answer would be get your license and get some business in your pipeline before you quit your job.
3. Yes! You can take it on line. However, I am from Indiana and I found the answer on the RI in about 30 seconds. Were you not inquistive enough to search and find the answer? That to me is not a good sign.

PRELICENSING (REQUIRED FOR RESIDENTS)​
Applicant must successfully complete a twenty (20) hour pre-licensing course. This course may be either classroom
or verifiable self study (including online courses).

The course must have received prior approval by the RI Insurance Division.

All pre-licensing courses are valid for a period of five (5) years.

http://www.dbr.state.ri.us/document...er/InsuranceProducerLicensingInstructions.pdf

Read everything thing you can before you make the transition.

Ah, and now that it's officially summer, it's time to break out the lighter beers and plan on spending hour after hour doing searches on this forum, my friend. Many of your questions will have been asked and answered.

Good luck to you!

Are you getting offers from Insurance Companies or from agencies that are going promise you the stars, want to own you and have everything you write in the agency name so if you leave they get to keep all your renewals?

You said "local insurance companies". That sounds like an agency to me, not an insurance company. Mutual of Omaha is an insurance company. "Dave's Discount Insurance" is an agency.

This can be a very "up your ass" business if you are not careful who you talk to and who you "sign up with".

Know that if you talk to an insurance agency and the guy's lips are moving he probably isn't being totally truthful with you.

Thanks for the advice guys so far. I will say that it's not company's contacting me but agencies so thanks for the heads up in that regard. What is a good company for someone new to even start with. I will say that Aflac has been calling every day and sending emails as well but I'm avoiding them.

Ah, and now that it's officially summer, it's time to break out the lighter beers and plan on spending hour after hour doing searches on this forum, my friend. Many of your questions will have been asked and answered.

Good luck to you!

Spend hours selling first, we're always here when you need us.

Welcome!!

WOW - welcome!!
I see that it has been about 2 years. I would love to hear how things have turned out?

Thanks!
Sam

The only posts he did was the three posts he did in this thread back in June 2008, so he's probably not participating in the forum any longer.

Back