Just Got a Call from SelectQuote

STIBROKER

Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,,
Texas
Seems they are not to happy about one of my Face Book Pages..... Select Quote Life Insurance Texas | Facebook ....they seem to think I am copy write infringing their name....even after I explained that Select Quote was two different words and also had life insurance Texas in the name of the page....what do you guys think....

Technically if you say you aren't affiliated with them, its not copyright infrigement.

You can make a whole website about "I am not Selectquote" and use their name for keyword relevance about 100 times. They do not own all rights to use of their name and or have the right to prohibit all other use of it.

Here's how an attorney puts it:

The answer does not just depend on trademark registration, which can be relevant for determining what legal burden exists and what remedies are available, but is mostly about whether your competition is deceiving the consumer. It is simply not good enough to say they are using your name and logo. Comparative advertising is encouraged in the U.S., but must be done with caution so as to not "piggyback" on someone else's intellectual property and goodwill. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for example, encourages comparative advertising because of the inherent benefits in educating consumers. That said, if someone is using your name and logo to confuse consumers rather than to compare services, or is making untruthful statements about your company, you may have valid claims of trademark infringement, unfair competition, libel/slander, as well as others depending on your jurisdiction. The starting point would be a well-crafted demand letter to give the competitor time to stop, followed by a suit for injunctive relief and damages, if necessary. But be sure that the use of your name and logo rise to more than a comparison of services before you spend money trying to get them to stop. You need to find an experienced trademark lawyer in your state that can go through a factual analysis with you and analyze the specific merits of your claim(s).

Did you look at his site? It is pretty clear it is intended to capture people looking for Select Quote.

You may win, but your attorney will have fun spending your money first.

yea but in this case they could make waves with FB......but I still win....remember when I got the call from Jeff Zander.....changed the page but guess what....do a search for Zander Insurance Texas and what is in position one page one of google.....hahahaha

Jeff called you too huh?

He even dropped by my office in person to check us out back then.

We went to court with him & won:) Cost the insurance company $30k but hey, that is why I have insurance.:1laugh:

Since the fb page only has one "like", I can't see why they are all up in your grill? Since it isn't getting any traffic, I would just kill the page.

Since the fb page only has one "like", I can't see why they are all up in your grill? Since it isn't getting any traffic, I would just kill the page.

because when you search " selectquote texas " it is on page 1 pos 4 on google....and they do a ton of radio and tv....and no one writes down the number so they do a search......and it does get traffic......

Last edited:
Back