Just Got an Internship with Northwestern. What Should I Expect?

JMar

Expert
I was offered an Internship with Northwestern Mutual and I was wondering what to expect.

1) Will it be 100% Commission based?
2) Will I basically be selling insurance to my friends and family
3) Will this internship open some doors for me, since it is a "top ten internship"
4) How can I better prepare myself in the next two months to succeed?

Last edited:
Re: Just Got an Internship with Northwestern. What Should I Expec

Why did you accept a position without knowing what you will be doing or how you will be compensated?

In general, internships are a way to get your foot in the door with a company. But without answers to questions 1 & 2, how do you know you want to be on the inside of said door?

I have a basic idea now that I met with them today. It will only be a 4 month internship bc I am graduating in May and they cannot retain interns longer than 120 days after graduating.

I was just looking for more information from people who have possibly done the internship or worked for Northwestern.

This "internship" is just a nice way for them to recruit agents, nothing more. They may give you a slightly different compensation schedule, but it's going to be tell all your friends about it and start asking your friends if they have any friends. This is a great way to learn about the industry and potentially get college credit for it, but it's really no different than any other agents position when you boil it down. After the 120 days after graduation they have to start calling you an agent, but very little else would change.

Most of my friends are college aged and many are single without much need for life insurance or LTC. It doesn't seem like they just want you to sell to friends and family so far, but it could be that way. Do you think it will be necessary to sell to friends and family to have some initial success or can I be successful employing other prospecting techniques?

MedicarePlanSolutions is right. Agencies are always hiring because of very low overhead. In all honesty you could of just graduated high school and still potentially be hired.

As far as calling your friends and family. Yes, they will want you to do it and it kind of sucks....luckily I didn't have to. Though, over time I have let all of my friends and family know exactly what I do.

Your best way to get going when first starting will just be a gally list (or whatever your company calls it) which is just a bunch of numbers to cold call.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Most of my friends are college aged and many are single without much need for life insurance or LTC. ?

Everyone should have life insurance..when you truly believe that, you will sell it.

Last edited:

It doesn't seem like they just want you to sell to friends and family so far, but it could be that way

I have never seen NW give their agents leads. Also, if they haven't told you where they get the leads from yet, they're probably hiding it because it's friends, family, and anyone you've ever met.

I think I might just go for it and work hard to do the best job I can. Having a "top ten internship" might be a good thing for my resume.

It would undoubtedly be a great learning experience, but I would just keep everything we've talked about in mind.

I think I might just go for it and work hard to do the best job I can. Having a "top ten internship" might be a good thing for my resume.

Yeah let us know how it goes. Will make a great thread, heh.

Back