Just set a huge meeting

Yes, 5 man is partial.

Self funding is very popular in munis and other govt entities. Very easy to budget.

Thanks for the advice. I have a lot to learn in the self funded space. I am quoting a level funded plan for one of my current groups right now so hopefully that goes well and I can start my first self funded case

sbg_ben, the more you learn about the self-funding model, the more you will understand about the budgeting, how to recommend the group fund their plan, what to expect, what not to expect, and finally, that it is not a short-term strategy. All self-funding and level-funding models are 3-5 year strategies. Unless the plan blows up over multiple years and causes rates to go beyond fully insured, the group will come out ahead.

No one can say that self-funding is 100% effective unless they can pre-determine who will be sick and terminate them before that occurs; and we all know that is not going to happen. Oracles are hard to find and seers are inconsistent :biggrin:. Thus the reason to learn as much as possible, understand any group could benefit from it (remember, underwriting may eliminate this option), and grab your successes as they come. The size cases you are looking at at ideal for the self-funding/level-funding approach. I would suggest either partnering with someone or getting the representative from either the TPA or carrier go with you to present your first few times.

Best of luck and please let me/us know how things progress. One final note, if you do a truly self-funded approach, make certain the TPA is using a fully transparent PBM (pharmacy benefit manager).

Thanks for the wise words. I will definitely bring a representative from the carrier or TPA if I plan on selling any fully self funded plans to a larger group. I think by quoting level funded plans for all of my current clients that can meet the participation rate I will get a good feel for it and start to learn by doing.

Self funded is a large, untamed beast . . . Medical Carrier, RX, TPA, etc - lot's of moving parts.

Rates are a little higher - but, for now, I'm only going to mess with Level Funded plans.

Self funded is a large, untamed beast . . . Medical Carrier, RX, TPA, etc - lot's of moving parts.

Rates are a little higher - but, for now, I'm only going to mess with Level Funded plans.

I do not necessarily agree with your full statement. To say self-funded is a large, untamed beast is a bit of hyperbole. Once you become familiar with the moving parts, the market, it’s concepts, and the strategies, your anxiety will subside. Yes level-funded is easier, but it is designed for groups that are not true candidates for self-funding. Do not know what you mean by rates are a little higher, sorry.

I am sure as you go forward you will become more comfortable with self-funding and find much success.

Last edited:
I do not necessarily agree with your full statement. To say self-funded is a large, untamed beast is a bit of hyperbole. Once you become familiar with the moving parts, the market, it’s concepts, and the strategies, your anxiety will subside. Yes level-funded is easier, but it is designed for groups that are not true candidates for self-funding. Do not know what you mean by rates are a little higher, sorry.

I am sure as you go forward you will become more comfortable with self-funding and find much success.

You're right . . . I've so much to learn.

At the moment - my Partner is handling everything - I just have to get the info.

Don't really want to mess with MM - but, may have to to get the other business.

I meant the monthly contributions ( rate per employee ) are more on the level vs self . . .

As a general assumption, the cost of a level-funded plan should be more expensive than a traditional self-insured option. Not always, but most times.

I agree about self-funding. And I've read some great tips here that will come in handy for me, thank you.
Little tougher in your state, but there is plenty of opportunity for self funding in Alabama without the blues. Have written 2 groups in since January. Good luck

Back