Just Started Selling Insurance, HELP!!

Jess

Expert
Hi all,
I am looking for advise on pretty much anything and everything pertaining to selling insurance. I just got a job with AFLAC and before then I have had no sales or insurance or even a job in a professional setting. I am supposed to cold prospect, and it is not going very well for me. I cannot seem to write a decent email that looks like a business owner would even read it and I can barely get in the door without getting a "no we dont want it go away".

I have been trying to do a lot of research on selling and working in a professional atmosphere but I would really like to know what other people think and what has worked for them.

Please help, I have spent everything I have pretty much on getting licensed and starting up and I am not doing well at it even though I am really trying:err:

First of all, congrats on getting your license!! :) Now, go to the 'getting started in insurance' forum and the 3rd thread down will have everything you are looking for in one spot already.

Also, change your attitude!! It seems like you are a hard worker with a self defeated attitude! You need to BELIEVE you will do well. If you believe you won't do well, then you won't! And, what doesn't seem to be working for you needs to be changed. Keep trying new things until you find a few things that will work for you. Not everything will work for you, not everything will work for the customer. You need to find a happy medium that works for all.

This is not a get rich quick type of business. It takes awhile to build up clientele. So be patient with yourself, keep working and it will come. Best of luck!! :yes:

Also, if you are looking for ways to target businesses, check out my new site for insurance agents: njbusinessinsurancelady Maybe you'll get a few ideas there as well...

And, P.S., you'd be better off posting a thread with the email you are sending out and asking for advice on it for targeted advice. The question you ask here is extremely broad and been covered a zillion times before.

Last edited:
Leave AFLAC, get appointed with a couple of carriers, walk in businesses (like you do now) and make much more money. Email me if you're really serious about doing it. I don't run an agency.

Hi Jess, this market it tough... 1 out of 20 agents make it due to the difficulty of securing leads so what your going tru is common.... it takes not only hard work but god given talent to have a gift of gabb. Keep pounding and talk to someone like Rob or Crack pipe johnny on this forum

Leave AFLAC, get appointed with a couple of carriers, walk in businesses (like you do now) and make much more money. Email me if you're really serious about doing it. I don't run an agency.
What kind of insurance do you sell? I have done a lot of looking into aflac and I have been told that it is hard work but worth it in the long run. I want insurance to be a career move for me I just dont have the background and all the experiance

Hi all,
I am looking for advise on pretty much anything and everything pertaining to selling insurance. I just got a job with AFLAC and before then I have had no sales or insurance or even a job in a professional setting. I am supposed to cold prospect, and it is not going very well for me. I cannot seem to write a decent email that looks like a business owner would even read it and I can barely get in the door without getting a "no we dont want it go away".

I have been trying to do a lot of research on selling and working in a professional atmosphere but I would really like to know what other people think and what has worked for them.

Please help, I have spent everything I have pretty much on getting licensed and starting up and I am not doing well at it even though I am really trying:err:

1) No more emails.
2) Walk around a populated area, with lots of store and shops. Set up appointments with the store or shop owners. Try to set 2-3 appointments a day. Even if they say they'd have no interest, let them know there is no obligation. You just want a half hour of their time to go over what you have to offer. Things change once you're face-to-face.

What kind of insurance do you sell? I have done a lot of looking into aflac and I have been told that it is hard work but worth it in the long run. I want insurance to be a career move for me I just dont have the background and all the experiance

I primarily sell individual products to blue/grey color small business owners. It's a totally different environment from selling group supplemental benefits. Individual lines may be a better fit for you (I don't know).

I started with one carrier as well but soon learned enough to go on my own. I think it is the best way to go for the long run but you need a mentor or someone who has gone thru it in order to help you in spots that you are stuck.

I had a couple experienced agents that were there if I had questions and I have no idea what I would have done without them. Over time you will find what type of marketing works for you and how to work leads. Everybody has their own way of doing this.

There are going to be some rough times before you get good at this and you get a book of business that provides you with renewal income. That will also help you in your ability to market and spend money in areas you will not be able to at first.

If you would like to hear more send me a message and I will tell you more.

I primarily sell individual products to blue/grey color small business owners. It's a totally different environment from selling group supplemental benefits. Individual lines may be a better fit for you (I don't know).

By individual, do you mean life, major med, supplemental health, P&C?

If you don't like the answer "no" this isn't the business for you. You have to understand, after many no's you will finally get a yes. The key is to work through the no's as fast a possible to get to the yes's.
"no" just means they either don't understand, or, they haven't heard enough. lol.

Back