Just Starting, and Business Opportunities

ColtonSturgill

Insurance Counterparts,
This is sort of a "what I'm about" and also a unique opportunity post. First off I am 18, yes you read that right, 18. I'm currently serving in the Ohio Army National Guard and I'm attending Akron University pursuing a Degree in Business Management. I'm not the average person who wants to work a regular 9-5 job, get 10 days of paid vacation a year, and drive a company car. I strive to have the highest goals and work harder than what people think is possible. I'm currently in the process of starting my OWN Independent Life Insurance Company. Also, following in the footsteps of my brother Craig Sturgill, who at age 18 started selling Health/Medicare insurance and created a very successful business. Again, I'm not the ordinary person. I have a passion for always wanting more, bettering myself, and learning new ways to do something no one has done before. I am VERY aware of the challenges, expenses, and obstacles there is in order to create and operate a successful Insurance Agency, and I will overcome them without a doubt. I live in the Medina, Ohio area and want to see anyone who is willing to help/mentor me in my process. From something as small as answering my questions, to even possibly becoming partners. I have a lot of motivation, dedication, hard work, and great ideas to offer. I'm also interested in many other forms of business, such as Investing in Real Estate, as my father did. I have extremely high goals for myself that not only do I intend to meet, but GREATLY exceed in as well. My next step in my plans is to get my License for the state of Ohio to sell life and health insurance. So to sort of "wrap" this post up, anyone who has anything at all to say or offer I would greatly appreciate your time and I am already thankful you've continued to read this far.

Thanks

Colton Sturgill

Why not have your brother mentor you?
My brother is/has been helping me. He answers any questions I have, gives advice, and helps me when needed, but I was also just looking for advice/tips/opportunities with other people in the Life Insurance field. My brother sold Health/Medicare Insurance and although his field of expertise may not be Life insurance he still knows a lot about it due to the fact he worked very closely in that area. I was just seeing if anyone currently in the Life Insurance business had anything to say!

... I was just seeing if anyone currently in the Life Insurance business had anything to say!

Get your degree(s). Consider switching from business management to economics and philosophy.

Fall in love too. There's plenty of time to build an empire.

Colton,

You need to read this article in full:
How to go from failure to success ... in just one year | LifeHealthPro

Do you have a client profile in mind? Age, marital status, children?, renter or homeowner?, income range?, profession?, geography (where they live or work)?

What general problems does your client profile have? Remember that insurance is a solution to a problem. Help enough people to solve their problems with the solutions they would enjoy having... and you can do very well.

What products do you see yourself selling to that client profile to help them solve their problems?

Where will you get the training you need to help people solve their problems? Your brother may be an adequate resource for selling term policies and giving a product/benefit presentation, but anything else, you'd need better resources.

How will you approach these people? Direct mail? Cold-call? Door-knocking? Business canvassing? Employee benefit enrollment meetings? Chamber of commerce networking meetings? Networking groups? Or will you be buying leads?

These questions are the most important in helping you to determine a business plan and to ask others for their assistance in guiding you.

If all you want to sell is just term insurance, and the occasional DI policy... then you can just use a "mortgage insurance" approach. However, if you want a chance to sell permanent insurance products... you're going to need better training resources and learn how to do a complete fact-find.

Colton,

You need to read this article in full:
How to go from failure to success ... in just one year

Do you have a client profile in mind? Age, marital status, children?, renter or homeowner?, income range?, profession?, geography (where they live or work)?

What general problems does your client profile have? Remember that insurance is a solution to a problem. Help enough people to solve their problems with the solutions they would enjoy having... and you can do very well.

What products do you see yourself selling to that client profile to help them solve their problems?

Where will you get the training you need to help people solve their problems? Your brother may be an adequate resource for selling term policies and giving a product/benefit presentation, but anything else, you'd need better resources.

How will you approach these people? Direct mail? Cold-call? Door-knocking? Business canvassing? Employee benefit enrollment meetings? Chamber of commerce networking meetings? Networking groups? Or will you be buying leads?

These questions are the most important in helping you to determine a business plan and to ask others for their assistance in guiding you.

If all you want to sell is just term insurance, and the occasional DI policy... then you can just use a "mortgage insurance" approach. However, if you want a chance to sell permanent insurance products... you're going to need better training resources and learn how to do a

DHK,
First off, I would like to thank you for the lengthy and in depth response. Its people like you that I appreciate and look to for advice. So to answer your questions I will begin by saying my primary sales is going to be Life Insurance (Term, Whole, Universal, etc.). Age range 40+, Single or Married, a wide variety of incomes, and starting off I am going to limit geography/primary location to Ohio. I do plan to expand overtime to neighboring states and eventually cross country. Also I am going to work with a Cluster Agency when I first begin to "get my foot in the door" so to speak. I want to prove me and my business and then continue to obtain Agencies to sell through on my own. And yes, I do in fact plan to buy leads and am also pretty aware I will most likely be doing a decent amount of cold calls. I'm going to try and stay away from cold calls and try to focus all my efforts into leads, but if need be I will do WHATEVER it takes to succeed. I will be doing all of this as an independent agent. That's who I am as a person and salesman. Any other info you man find necessary to know don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again for your time.

Colton

Get your degree(s). Consider switching from business management to economics and philosophy. Fall in love too. There's plenty of time to build an empire.

Do not fall in love, wait until you are debt free, own your car and have bought your own house, and have money in the bank, Allot.

Back