Just Starting Out and Need Information and Advice

mike6075

Expert
I am waiting on my Georgia Life/Health license and would appreciate some information. Who are the main carriers for life, health, medd supps and MA in Georgia and which of them can I sign up with direct. Who are some good IMO/FMO that I can sign up with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ohio National is a good life company. They have very good term, whole life, and universal life. You can contract direct.

Ohio National is a good life company. They have very good term, whole life, and universal life. You can contract direct.

I second Ohio National. As you are new to the business, do you have a marketing strategy to consistently get in front of people on a favorable basis? I didn't and starved until I figured it out, save yourself the hassle. Products are great, marketing and prospecting are what matters the most at this stage.

Why are you choosing to get in this industry right now?

I have always been interested in this industy meant to start last year but was too busy. Is this not a good time to get into it? If so, then why do you feel that way?

I second Ohio National. As you are new to the business, do you have a marketing strategy to consistently get in front of people on a favorable basis? I didn't and starved until I figured it out, save yourself the hassle. Products are great, marketing and prospecting are what matters the most at this stage.

I plan to telemarket at first and maybe buy some leads. I've read that FMOs give out leads but not sure about the details. What are your sugestions?

I plan to telemarket at first and maybe buy some leads. I've read that FMOs give out leads but not sure about the details. What are your sugestions?

Leads for what kind of insurance? If it is for Med Supps I can almost assure you that it will not be worth giving up any commission or anything else to get those "leads". I would call that a "hollow benefit".

Why are you choosing to get in this industry right now?
I think this is a great industry to be in right now, but I wouldn't suggest focusing on individual health or small group health as your bread and butter right now. Life, disability, long term care, securities, worksite marketing, and probably med supps (I don't have a clue as to their future, don't work the market seriously, and don't follow it).

Here is what I would suggest to get started:

1. Pick one target market to focus on in the beginning to keep it simple (examples: seniors, young married couples, small business owners, small company employee benefit plans, ect.)

2. Learn how to consistently get in front of those markets. Don't reinvent the wheel, find someone who does this successfully or from reading this forum, ect. I didn't have anyone to teach me, mine came from online forum members willing to help me. If I had to do it over again, I would have started captive to fasten my learning curve.

Telemarketing, referrals, internet leads, seminars, direct mail, email marketing, ect. can all work to some extent, but some are more effective than others depending on your target market. Like I said, find someone targeting your market and copy them.

3. Learn 2 to 3 solutions you can solve for this target market. Don't try and learn it all to start with, keep it simple. I would actually master two areas first before adding a third. You can always go back later and bring up other areas. Some examples:

Seniors: Med supp, final expense, long term care
Business Owners: Health, life, & disability.
Employee Benefits: Health, Ancillary lines, worksite marketing
Young Couples: Life, supplemental disability, retirement savings.

*Those are only examples, there are many more options/products to chose from.

4. Stay focused on your broad based target market and getting in front of enough of them each week. You will quickly become an expert in your solutions, learn what to say, what stories to tell, and what questions to ask. If you find someone to do joint work, this will drastically accelerate your learning curve here. If not, it will take much longer to get the "lay of the land".

Bottom line, it all comes down to prospecting/marketing. If you can't consistently get in front of enough people every week, the rest doesn't matter. This is why you need to copy a system from someone targeting the market you want to target using a marketing budget that works for your situation.

Last edited:
I am waiting on my Georgia Life/Health license and would appreciate some information. Who are the main carriers for life, health, medd supps and MA in Georgia and which of them can I sign up with direct. Who are some good IMO/FMO that I can sign up with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

MAA is really strong

Back