Kaiser Permanente tops J.D. Power Medicare Advantage plan survey for 5th straight year

No. They can’t go to Kaiser at all.
Wow! Got it. So they don't take medicare patients. So if a Kaiser member comes down with a rare disease and wants to go to Mayo Clinic or a specialized treatment center they would be stuck.

It appears there are folks on this thread that are not familiar with the way HMO's work, and in particular, KP HMO.

KP is a closed panel HMO. Google the term if you don't know what that is.

They also contract with outside vendors which mimics an IPA model. Google that as well but don't get sidetracked by beer with the same name.

KP hospitals and clinics will only treat members covered by KP policies (individual, group, Medicare). Non-members will NOT be treated at KP owned facilities.

If KP members require specialized care that is not available in house they will be referred to an approved contractor.

On occasion KP will honor claims incurred outside their network.

If a member has an emergency and is not near a KP facility they may seek care from the closest provider.

And sometimes a member needs care that cannot be handled in house or by contracted providers. In those rare situations KP will approve a treatment plan and negotiate reimbursement in advance.

There is a very good reason why some agents encourage prospects to consider original Medicare and a supplement plan vs an MA plan, especially when the prospect is looking at an HMO model.

No networks.

No referrals.

No pre-approval

No surprises.

Last edited:
They are the only company having a top 5-Star Rating for their hospitals in California for both Medicare and individual plans.

Their Medicare plans have 5-Star Ratings, the only company I know of with that rating here in California.

Medicare rates companies in 75 departments. Kaiser controls all 75 since they own the clinics and hospitals and the doctors are their employees. Most other companies writing Medicare policies only control @ 20 departments or less!

Kaiser has either a hate or love relationship with patients. It's extremely difficult to compete with them even though they have the most expensive Medicare plan in California. They charge for everything whereas most companies have $0 copays for the same thing.

As soon as I find out someone turning 65 is on Kaiser, I ask: Are you happy with your coverage? If they answer yes I reply, I guess you are going to stay with Kaiser for your Medicare? Almost always, the answer is yes. I'll tell them about the copays Kaiser charges and once in a while someone will want a comparison.
The star rating is a scam and a bunch of crap. I look at enforcement actions and penalties in my state against insurance carriers and it has NO relevance to the star ratings. Kaiser is five star in my opinion, because they have a nonprofit division called the Kaiser foundation which does a lot of free work for CMS, They basically work for them for free. CMS loves Kaiser and it’s a star rating political bunch of nonsense. No one on this planet can tell me Kaiser is better than Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, etc.

Back