Kicked Off my Family Health Plan

BASH14

So im a 23 year old male who currently still lives with his parents and has been on the families insirnace forever. However my father was just laid off and thus my family had to switch to my moms employers plan until my dad is eligible for benefits from his new work after 90 days. The problem is that my moms employer will not accept me due to a clause in their health plan stating that if my work offers insurance than I cannot be on her plan. My work offers very little benefits and are not very affordable for me right now. Now I admit that I know next to nothing about insurance but I was under the impression that under the ACA I can be on my families plan until 26 no matter what. Forgive my naïveté but any helpful information on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Although I don't have any experience with this personally and have only heard of it in passing, there may still be some grandfathered group plans that only allow adult children on if they are not offered employer coverage elsewhere. That may be what you are experiencing.

So im a 23 year old male who currently still lives with his parents and has been on the families insirnace forever. However my father was just laid off and thus my family had to switch to my moms employers plan until my dad is eligible for benefits from his new work after 90 days. The problem is that my moms employer will not accept me due to a clause in their health plan stating that if my work offers insurance than I cannot be on her plan. My work offers very little benefits and are not very affordable for me right now. Now I admit that I know next to nothing about insurance but I was under the impression that under the ACA I can be on my families plan until 26 no matter what. Forgive my naïveté but any helpful information on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really sorry, but the answer is you have to go on your employer plan or pay full price at the Marketplace to have Minimum Essential Coverage.

Your mom's plan has the right to "decline coverage" if the dependent has coverage elsewhere.

You are not eligible for a subsidy because you have employer coverage available. (This is called the family glitch)

HOWEVER, because you lost coverage (and I am assuming its been within the last 60 days), you are eligible for Marketplace coverage, without a subsidy. At you age, its entirely possible that you can get a less expensive plan via the Marketplace than is offered through your employer. I don't know what state you in, but go to healthcare.gov and start there.

Good luck!

It would be helpful to know what the employer plan is. People that do not understand insurance throw words around and the meaning becomes .....meaningless. His employer plan may not be anything qualifying as medical insurance. Then, there is the penalty and whether or not it applies. What about health status and bla, bla, bla?

Back