Kidney Transplant - Anyone?

KaseyNM

Expert
I'm wonderfully impatient and can't wait to talk to my underwriting people on Monday. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but thought someone might have experience with this.

36YO client, got a kidney transplant July 1, 2010 - so just over 5yrs ago.
It was due to IGA nephropothy.
All good on every checkup since then.
Takes a boatload of medications though:
200mg Cyclosporine
100mg Azathinoprine
10mg Presnidone
20mg famotidine
80mg bactrim
10mo amlodipine
40mg lipitor
1000mg ocsal
2000mg fish oil.

Yeesh! I'm about 1000% sure that I won't find anything nice, if I even find anything for him.
Wants a permanent policy.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I'm wonderfully impatient and can't wait to talk to my underwriting people on Monday. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but thought someone might have experience with this. 36YO client, got a kidney transplant July 1, 2010 - so just over 5yrs ago. It was due to IGA nephropothy. All good on every checkup since then. Takes a boatload of medications though: 200mg Cyclosporine 100mg Azathinoprine 10mg Presnidone 20mg famotidine 80mg bactrim 10mo amlodipine 40mg lipitor 1000mg ocsal 2000mg fish oil. Yeesh! I'm about 1000% sure that I won't find anything nice, if I even find anything for him. Wants a permanent policy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

GI. Pick your poison.

Yeah, I'm going to hate it when I bring back a 10K GI instead of a 600K policy
:-(

I guess the upside is, on heavily rated policies you can always tell the client that "yes - you are paying more, but, statistically, you won't be paying it for very long"
Silver linings eh?

I'm wonderfully impatient and can't wait to talk to my underwriting people on Monday. I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but thought someone might have experience with this. 36YO client, got a kidney transplant July 1, 2010 - so just over 5yrs ago. It was due to IGA nephropothy. All good on every checkup since then. Takes a boatload of medications though: 200mg Cyclosporine 100mg Azathinoprine 10mg Presnidone 20mg famotidine 80mg bactrim 10mo amlodipine 40mg lipitor 1000mg ocsal 2000mg fish oil. Yeesh! I'm about 1000% sure that I won't find anything nice, if I even find anything for him. Wants a permanent policy. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Where did the kidney come from? Makes a big difference.

Where did the kidney come from? Makes a big difference.

Indeed, live donations get a more favorable (but highly rated viewed) whereas cadaver donations are almost always a decline. Also, if the IgA neuropathy is biopsy-proven your term options might be shot.

That immunosuppression regimen suggests that perhaps everything has not been as perfect as you have led to believe. 10 mg is a lot of prednisone for 5 years out. Also, is it possible the applicant forgot to include his insulin on the list, since it's not a pill? In other words, is he also diabetic like so many transplant patients?

Sorry I got behind on responding. The kidney was from his mother, so live donation.
He isn't diabetic... or at least didn't disclose in the medical exam or in my field underwriting. I'm currently waiting on his wife to make up her mind about the split on how much of her insurance will be term vs. perm before deciding where I send who's application.
Ferrari - tell me more!

Back