Lab Results

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Client examined for life insurance last month. Applied at preferred, offer from Banner was standard based on lab results.

Cholesterol 251
HDL 74
LDL 159

Client went postal. Claimed the results were invalid. His chol had never been that high.

Two weeks ago he went to his doc and had new lab work. Results came back yesterday.

Cholesterol 96
HDL 46
LDL 40

I have sent the information to Banner. Waiting on a response. Any insight into the discrepancy in readings short of a SNAFU by the lab Banner used?

Great post. First, was it a fasting count for the paramed? Did he wolf down a triple cheeseburger before the exam?

Secondly, this happened to me. I've had life for years but applied through another carrier to pick up another $500K.

Med came over....results came back 225. Wrong. My count has never been over 180....ever.

I went in to see my doc - worked me up - 186. Didn't matter to the carrier - would not accept the 186 from my doc.

Why does this remind me of the OJ Simpson case? ha ha ha.

Very interesting, though. Something we all should be a bit more concerned with!

I think a lot more labs get screwed up that you'd like to believe.

Did a life app on a nurse 7-8 years ago. Decline -- they said she had Hepatitis "C" (from the labs).

This poor woman went and had a liver biopsy done (she was a nurse after all). Result? NO Hep "C".

Issued preferred. Not a word of apology from the insurance company, or lab. Brutal.

OJ had cholesterol problems?

Or are you suggesting Mark Furman had a hand in the lab?

If the cholesterol profile does not fit you must acquit.

On a more serious note, this guy was livid. His last chol reading from 2 yrs ago was 81. Spiking to 251 was unbelievable.

His alkaline phosphatase readings (Banner) were off the charts too at 181. His doc did a complete panel, including liver enzymes, which showed all readings in normal range. I asked him for those counts as well and he is to get back to me.

The guy could have eaten a steady diet of pasta and wine for a week and still not blown his chol & liver enzymes up like that.

Got a call in to Banner. If they don't budge we go with Genworth at a slightly higher rate on super preferred.

Should not be a problem, Banner will APS his doc to get the new lab results and underwrite accordingly. I have had several errors like this just recently and all were reversed. If Banner won't change, re-apply with West Coast and get new labs.

This is just one more reason why we need single payer life insurance. Where is Congress on this issue?

Rick

YES... this travesty must be stopped NOW.

The only one who can put an end to this atrocity is our friends in DC... By the time they are finished we will all be able to get 10 yr term policy for just slightly more than the cost of a highly loaded UL policy rate of today.

I can't wait until tey get involved and get this handled pronto!!!!!!

Back