Lab Work

SOUND or TONIK plans have all inclusive co-pays but it must be SAME day and BILLED BY DOCTOR.

I think people need to quit shopping for such benefit rich plans (which are not cheap). We seldom run into the lab / xray question - because when we you quote a plan with the lab / xray and limitations AND high price they won't buy it anyhow.

Of course but until companies quit offering benefit rich plans with $200 deductibles and bells and whistles this is going to happen. The issue is group plans are highly subsidized and people don't even understand how much these bells and whistles cost to provide.

We run into the issue of ER copay more than anything. Some of our high end plans have it - and then we sell a ER copay add on for $20 but it is not perfect either.

Lab bills are why I don't write broke people. It's inevitable that they're gonna get the bill and since they're broke and can't pay it they're the most irate people to deal with: "Well someone's paying this and it ain't gonna be me!"

Of course but until companies quit offering benefit rich plans with $200 deductibles and bells and whistles this is going to happen. The issue is group plans are highly subsidized and people don't even understand how much these bells and whistles cost to provide.

LOL - They usually find out how much those plans cost when (if) they go on COBRA!

People also need to quit worrying so much about the lab work and doctor's co-pay coverage and focus on what's important.....Rx drugs and hospital stays!!

People also need to quit worrying so much about the lab work and doctor's co-pay coverage and focus on what's important.....Rx drugs and hospital stays!!

So true.

I tell clients the little claims even out over time from plan to plan. The big claims are where the rubber meets the road.

Don't buy a plan with an Rx copay (or any copay for that matter). Even when I tell them I have clients spending $2k+ per month on ONE med they still want a copay.

As many claims as I have been involved in over the years, I have seen first hand what a "typical" plan can do to wreck your budget. Buy a plan with no copays and everything accumulates towards OOP & deductible. That is about as safe as you can get.

...or worrying about dental & vision...

Get your own teeth cleaning and buy your own glasses, don't look to buy individual insurance to pay for $50 expenses!

Had a lady today need $1600 in dental work and called to chew my ear off that her $20.50 / month dental plan (that she has been on for 2 months) will not pay anything (waiting periods not met - even if they were it is minimal benefit).

I said here is the deal imagine a piggy bank - you put $20.50 in for two months, and took $1600 out - see the problem?

Her response...

"Then what is the point of having Insurance?"

Gotta love it....

Back