Landlords Policy Question

SarahLeigh

Hello Fellow Forum Members:

I am fairly new to the industry and haven't quoted a landlord's policy yet. Who are the best carriers to quote landlord's policies in CA for a residential dwelling? Can the insured be an entity (corporation) instead of an individual or does it have to be quoted as a commercial risk?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sarah

Hello Fellow Forum Members:

I am fairly new to the industry and haven't quoted a landlord's policy yet. Who are the best carriers to quote landlord's policies in CA for a residential dwelling? Can the insured be an entity (corporation) instead of an individual or does it have to be quoted as a commercial risk?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sarah

Entity or individual ownership. If your insureds goal is to own JUST own rental they would be okay under a individual ownership.

I always recommend my clients to set up a LLC. A- the liability is not tied to their personal assets. B- In terms of taxes upon ownership transfer (down the road, upon death) the ownership of the LLC can be transferred to a new managing member (most likely a family member) and you will not have to pay the capital gains tax etc..

CIG is your "superior" market.. Travelers, Hartford, Liberty and Deans and Homer for the older buildings.

Good Question. I believe it depends first on the form of ownership. AND who the owners are.

In California setting up an LLC is pretty expensive (minimum yearly cost around $800) - which is different than most states.
Therefore lots of people do not set up an LLC for just one rental property.

Most standard carriers would decline if the dwelling is tilted under a corporation. CIG's is in deed very competitive and they are pretty easy on brush. Only issue is it's not a CEA partner and it's tough to compete with CEA on earthquake nowadays.

Back