Late Enrollment Penalty, Enrolled 61 Days After Medicare B Start Date

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Is this correct? PDP sending her a bill for $1.00/month LEP.

I thought a gap of 63 days was the limit.

They signed up for PDP 12/1/2014, Medicare B, effective 10/1/2014.

Is this correct? PDP sending her a bill for $1.00/month LEP.

I thought a gap of 63 days was the limit.

They signed up for PDP 12/1/2014, Medicare B, effective 10/1/2014.

Was Part A started at the same time as Part B? If Part A was earlier then likely that started the Part D clock.

Or does the drug plan show a Jan 2015 start date in their records?

(Or TwoCents could very well be right, I was given incorrect advice when I started looking at plans and basically told I could get into both B and D throughout the intial enrollment period. I hit the 60 days only by accident. But it seems like she should have had a penalty letter from the first drug plan which she must have ignored for 2 years if it is only now coming up as an issue.)

Last edited:
Was Part A started at the same time as Part B? If Part A was earlier then likely that started the Part D clock.

Yes, Part A was earlier. The person says there is a letter of creditable coverage from the group carrier in case it was needed due to earlier Part A. When they applied for Part B, that application form attested to the prior group coverage.

----------

Or does the drug plan show a Jan 2015 start date in their records?

The app for Part D states it's for 12/1/2014, with SEP LEC specified. Good to check effective date on record, however.

I see that the employer filled out the attestation for Part B enrollment, saying the group coverage ended 09/2014. Should have said 09/30/2014. The creditable coverage letter from the prior carrier should have the specific date.

Part A: 08/01/2013, Part B: 10/1/2014.

"Your IEP for Part D will usually be the same as for Part B: the seven-month period that includes the three months before the month you become eligible for Medicare, the month you are eligible, and three months after the month you become eligible. For example, if you become eligible for Medicare when you turn 65 on May 15, your IEP will be February 1 to August 31."

No mention of LEP for waiting after the 1st date for Part B but still within the three months after month of eligibility.

Last edited:
I had a several year gap between Part A and Part B. I hand carried two attestation forms into the social security office and was granted part B penalty free. However two months later Silverscript had no records of that and sent penalty assessment forms. I had to give all the information A SECOND TIME, DIRECTLY to Silverscript to avoid/evade the penalty assessment.

I have the 2016 number of $34.10 from Medicare and you
Sept Oct Nov would give you 3%
$34.1*.03=1.023 rounding down to the dollar you have so the letter issue you commented on looks like a good candidate.

----------

No mention of LEP for waiting after the 1st date for Part B but still within the three months after month of eligibility.

But I believe the IEP centers around the T65 date of part A. Given that the client is past that IEP in late 2014, the 63 day rule applies in regard to the gap between employer coverage and the actual Medicare PDP coverage.

Last edited:
I had a several year gap between Part A and Part B. I hand carried two attestation forms into the social security office and was granted part B penalty free. However two months later Silverscript had no records of that and sent penalty assessment forms. I had to give all the information A SECOND TIME, DIRECTLY to Silverscript to avoid/evade the penalty assessment.

I have the 2016 number of $34.10 from Medicare and you
Sept Oct Nov would give you 3%
$34.1*.03=1.023 rounding down to the dollar you have so the letter issue you commented on looks like a good candidate.

----------

But I believe the IEP centers around the T65 date of part A. Given that the client is past that IEP in late 2014, the 63 day rule applies in regard to the gap between employer coverage and the actual Medicare PDP coverage.

If that is the case, then Part B effective date (10/1/2014), PDP effective date 12/1/2014 & employer last date of creditable coverage are still within the 63 days--assuming ER coverage to end of September. If the employer coverage is actually an earlier end date in September 2014, that could matter. I don't have a copy of creditable coverage letter.

If that is the case, then Part B effective date (10/1/2014), PDP effective date 12/1/2014 & employer last date of creditable coverage are still within the 63 days--assuming ER coverage to end of September. If the employer coverage is actually an earlier end date in September 2014, that could matter. I don't have a copy of creditable coverage letter.

Yes, not having the documents makes a problem. The dollar a month seems to suggests the PDP thinks there is a 3 month problem and SE, OC, NO or OC, NO, DE come out to that. I think the easiest first step would be to verify what dates the PDP is actually showing in their files-then that result would suggest the next needed action? Is that something that could be done on a group phone call with the client?

It just occurred to me that your client should be able to see the employer coverage information provided to obtain part B in her mymedicare account. I forget the specific tabs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back