Law school student lives in WV, but goes to school in VA

• Thread starter Joseph H. Deacon III
  • Start date
J

Joseph H. Deacon III

Hello all. I just joined the site. I have been in the business for about 5 years and do a decent bit of health insurance, mainly in my home state of WV. I have a friend and prospect who is coming off of his parents group plan because he is 25 and he needs some individual health. He lives in WV, but attends law school in VA. He considers his "home" to be in WV. Thing is, rates are far better in Virginia. What is legit to do here? Technically, he has addresses in both states.

I would guess that they will go by his drivers' license. However, I'd call the carrier(s) and ask. They will be able to tell you.

I am not certain to say about this case because you are talking about different states, but for example, rates were better at a client of mine's place of business compared to his residence and I got him covered using his business address. No problems. Same state though.

I bet you could write him in either state because he has dual residences. But like Delta says, might as well call the carrier to be safe.

but for example, rates were better at a client of mine's place of business compared to his residence and I got him covered using his business address. No problems.

No problems -- yet.

Most apps say "HOME ADDRESS". It's why most carriers need a physical address, not a P.O. Box. If your client has a big claim, and it's investigated, you've got your client set up for a claim denial.

Big mistake.

Well in that case, I am glad I stand corrected. Just goes to show you what "grey area" training I got from my last captive outfit. I never felt comfortable with that piece of info I learned from them, but went with it. I did it once, and hopefully nothing bad happens to him and would never do that again.

I do appreciate the info.

If you wrote student insurance this is a non issue since he gets to list both is home and school address - but he's gonna pay WV rates if you go that route. The benefit is student insurance being he can use local networks in both state.

That, however, becomes a non-issue if you write him with a national network for a major carrier.

That said, I would not recommend a student plan over the standard individual medical - in which his home state will be WV.

The other circumstance that might change the equation is if he has a VA drivers license and physical VA address - boarding at the school will not count unless he also maintains an address between semesters.

However, run this past the carrier and double check.

Last edited:
I will be going with Individual Medical for sure. I'll be going with WV on this one, since the carriers tell me this is what is correct. I appreciate the insight everyone. Just wanted to see if I could get him a better deal, but you have to do what is right and I just was not sure.

I believe the actual answer is where does he file his taxes. This happened to me, a client lived in Florida, had a house elsewhere, and the rates were way lower, I called around and that's the answer I received, seems to make sense.

I'd call the companies to be sure, might be a different approach for a student.

I will be going with Individual Medical for sure. I'll be going with WV on this one, since the carriers tell me this is what is correct. I appreciate the insight everyone. Just wanted to see if I could get him a better deal, but you have to do what is right and I just was not sure.

You don't have to do what's right, but I'm impressed that you are.

Good job!

thanks Robliano, that's just how I roll!

Back