Lead Options for Part Time FE

It sounds like some IMOs expect you to either quite for FT job or be sitting at home doing nothing in order for them to bring you on. I don't know how that will work for me. I plan on starting out part time for maybe the first 3-6 months before quitting my FT job. This will give me time to learn the business and build up a bank roll. I'm a workaholic and really pressed for more income right now so I undoubtedly know I can make this work.

Probably because most have been there, done that.

Ben was correct, most people who think they are going to do it part time grossly overestimate how much time they have available.

One, FE is really not evening activity for the most part. Two, assuming you work a 9-5 job. Even if you head directly from work to your first appointment, you realistically are looking at 6pm for your first appointment in most cases. So you may can run an appointment or two that evening. Rather unlikely anyone will set an appointment after 8, although it is possible. Which means when you get home, kids are probably in bed or on their way there. Plus you now just worked a 12 hour day.

Even Saturday, if you have kids are you willing to forgo basically all activities with them?

Reardon made it work, so you may want to ask him about his experience.

The reality is, very few succeed in insurance. And then adding in part time work and you stack the odds even more against you.

Some of you guys who have been doing this forever...if you were going to run leads one day a week, what would be your plan of action?

Type of leads? Internet, DM, TM, etc.?
Number of leads?
Door knock/phone and set apps.?
Expectations of AP based on answers above?

If I were going to go out one day a week I would just do a 1000 piece mailer every 2 weeks.

I would use some TM leads until that flow became regular.

Over time I would learn whether the 1000 piece mail every 2 weeks is too much, not enough or just right.

I would prefer to set appointments but if I've only got one day that would be difficult.

But if I limited myself to one day I would call in the am for afternoon appointments.

I always expect to write at least $2K any day I'm in the field. That wouldn't change.

----------

It sounds like some IMOs expect you to either quite for FT job or be sitting at home doing nothing in order for them to bring you on. I don't know how that will work for me. I plan on starting out part time for maybe the first 3-6 months before quitting my FT job. This will give me time to learn the business and build up a bank roll. I'm a workaholic and really pressed for more income right now so I undoubtedly know I can make this work.

I don't think that's the case. There were part agents when I was at EFES and there are part time agents with FEX.

I'm sure 360 has some part time agents.

What they are most likely telling you is that they will not put you on the set price lead program that they administer unless you are fully committed to the business.

That's because they have to pay for those leads upfront.

And a part time agent would be overwhelmed anyway with 20 leads coming their way every week. Would an agent working part time commit to spending $600 or so every week?

If I were going to go out one day a week I would just do a 1000 piece mailer every 2 weeks.

I would use some TM leads until that flow became regular.

I know that DM seems to be the preferred lead but I have a question.. I have recently looked at lead prices. If you can order 20 set price DM leads for $600.00 or you can get get 40 TM prices for the same cost, would you expect to write more business off the DM even though you had twice as many TM?

Is there a difference in the lead's response when you contact them depending upon the type of lead?

We take on part time agents all the time. They CAN make it if they have the drive, but I can say the exact same thing about full time agents too.

I don't know about discounted leads. I have not looked in to them. My options thus far from the IMO's I have have spoken to are at one 6-8 internet leads a week or 15 DM per week and at another 10 DM per week. I get a bit better contract at the IMO offering the internet leads.

I don't know about discounted leads. I have not looked in to them. My options thus far from the IMO's I have have spoken to are at one 6-8 internet leads a week or 15 DM per week and at another 10 DM per week. I get a bit better contract at the IMO offering the internet leads.

Don't fall for the higher commissions with internet leads. Internet leads are not very viable, at least not yet. Just a bunch of tire kickers is what you'll get.

I know that DM seems to be the preferred lead but I have a question.. I have recently looked at lead prices. If you can order 20 set price DM leads for $600.00 or you can get get 40 TM prices for the same cost, would you expect to write more business off the DM even though you had twice as many TM?

Is there a difference in the lead's response when you contact them depending upon the type of lead?

One other question... Due to my schedule, I probably would not be able to work more than 10 or so leads per week.. Some weeks, maybe none.. What would be the shelf life on a DM and A TM lead in order to achieve almost the smae results as if they were called immediately?

FE clients are mostly home during the daytime hours, but you can still see people after 5pm and on Saturdays. In fact, Saturdays have been a great way for me to catch lots of people home because they're busier during the week. I totally agree with Ben and many others though...you might make it work out alright for a little while but at some point, you're going to want to see your wife and kids a little more often. TM leads usually take about a week or less to generate, and they're cheaper...but the quality is much lower compared to DM leads. 20 DM leads are roughly equivalent in quality to 35-40 TM leads.

I work final expense part time.. But I work no less than 4 days a week after I leave my job and also weekends. The group I'm with provides me with all types of support as well as patience

*edit*
also what worked for me before I got really comfortable is a good appt setter... because I work another job I didn't have time to really make calls. So it was great benefit to leave the gig and check my email with a couple to a few appts to get to. But now that I have my feet wet after being in the game after nearly a year and a half I usually just make calls on my lunch for either that evening or the next and door knock..works for me

Last edited:
Back