Learning ACA

What's the best resource for learning U-65 health?

I have a lot of clients that ask me for it and I'd like to be somewhat knowledgeable, even if I continue to refer all of them out.

If I decided to pursue this, does anyone have an FMO recommendation? I don't need leads or anything. I just have very little knowledge of this market and would like to learn.

Thoughts?

What's the best resource for learning U-65 health?

I have a lot of clients that ask me for it and I'd like to be somewhat knowledgeable, even if I continue to refer all of them out.

If I decided to pursue this, does anyone have an FMO recommendation? I don't need leads or anything. I just have very little knowledge of this market and would like to learn.

Thoughts?

Ray I’ll tell you right now Aca’s a shit show . Customer service is almost non existent . The biggest aca carrier by far is Ambetter . You can be on hold for 90 mins and most of the reps from overseas . The web sites are atrocious and provide little info . Most carriers if you go under an fmo they make the fmo pay you directly which I refuse to allow . With Ambetter , Cigna , Oscar , United , Aetna and most smaller regionals you can go direct. You’ll sign up with Health Sherpa to do all your enrollments . It’s extremely easy to learn aca . Find a friend or agent to spend a few hrs to go over it with you . You’ll have to get certified yearly which is easy . What is nice about aca is you rarely get calls from clients about claims . Many people are younger and outside dr visits going use much .

Last edited:
If I decided to pursue this, does anyone have an FMO recommendation?
All of the larger FMOs have ACA. Probably some of the ones you've already got.

As far as learning, pretty much what Chaz said. The training reminded me of a kindergarten version of AHIP. A lot less than a CE course.

Your FMO will set you up with a Health Sherpa account and a PURL. I've got mine on my website. When I get a call I simply refer them to my website or email them a link. I don't try to spend a lot of time on it.

First, Nevada and calif have their own state exchanges, so you can't use health sherpa, and quoting and enrollment will be diff for each state.

2nd, both states expanded medicaid for under 138% FPL, so no market there for u.

3rd, its all about zip code which will determine carrier options, less in rural areas.

Lastly, it all about who is claimed on taxes, and the household AGI to determine if they are elig for tax credits. Kaiser has a aptc calculator to play around with. If income between 139% and 200%, be sure to do silver plan for lower deductibles.

Aca is, what aca is. You can't get away from shitty service and networks

All of the larger FMOs have ACA. Probably some of the ones you've already got.
Who do you (or anyone seeing this post ) use?

All of my IMOs are highly specialized. I have one for annuities, one for disability, and of course my own.

I have a few calls set up this week with options but honestly, I don't even know what questions I should be asking.

Thoughts?

Who do you (or anyone seeing this post ) use?

All of my IMOs are highly specialized. I have one for annuities, one for disability, and of course my own.

I have a few calls set up this week with options but honestly, I don't even know what questions I should be asking.

Thoughts?
My top three are of course Todd, then Western Marketing and Agent Pipeline. Between those three I have access to everybody out there. You'll eventually pick up a few directs as you go along.

My top three are of course Todd, then Western Marketing and Agent Pipeline. Between those three I have access to everybody out there. You'll eventually pick up a few directs as you go along.

Who requires you to go under an Imo ? Ambetter , Cigna , Aetna , Oscar ,United all direct contracts . When you go under an imo are all these CO’s paying your directly or is the imo paying you ? I always was told if you went under an imo they pay you .

Who requires you to go under an Imo ? Ambetter , Cigna , Aetna , Oscar ,United all direct contracts . When you go under an imo are all these CO’s paying your directly or is the imo paying you ? I always was told if you went under an imo they pay you .
First, no one requires me to do anything. I'm paid direct from all my companies. All of them.

When it comes to ACA, that's not one of my primary markets. Nott even close. I'd rather let the FMO do the heavy lifting. I'm already keeping up with over 30 companies as it is. No interest in adding more.

An ACA contract through an FMO is no different that a FE or OM contract.

Back