Leaving a Group in Georgia

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
I have never sold group insurance, and know nothing about group insurance.

That being said, I have a client who is 68 years old, has only Medicare Part A, and wants a Medicare Advantage Plan. The question is, if she quits work tomorrow, the 29th of the month, would she have coverage through the end of the next month, or would she lose coverage the next day, on the 30th?

It is through a small family-owned company, not part of a bigger firm. In the state of Georgia.

Gotta check the plan document to find out when coverage terms. Term date is self-reported. An easier way to go is to have the employer consider the 30th as the employment term date. Most small group coverage terms the last day of the month - but not all.

I'd also talk them into a supplement simply for flexibility in going to any provider unless they want an Advantage strictly to save premium.

Sell her a MA plan. You only make recommendations, not decisions.

I had a friend choose an ACA Oscar plan over Cigna. Can't fix stooopid.

The issue here is not the Medicare Advantage piece, it is whether, after tomorrow, she will have group coverage to float her until Part B is effective. Found out last night that she won't get the confirmation of Part B until next week. They don't email info like that.

Look at the plan document or talk to the agent who should be able to put the coverage term date in writing. HR should know but frequently not depending on how competent and educated in insurance they are. Always get written documentation before stating something for a fact.

Back