Leaving a Message when Cold Calling

For me it would depend on how many vm's I am hitting.

I'm starting my cold calling campaign monday, so I don't have my own stats yet as an indy agent....

However, if I found that I was encountering lot's of vm, like 30% or more, I don't know if I'd leave a vm the first time. Too much time tied up.

If you use the MOJO dialer, leaving voicemails won't take any extra time.

I use mojo, but when I leave vm's it ties up those lines.

For a little bit of vm, that's ok , but more than 30% I would just skip em.

I never leave a voice mail when calling the senior market. I have tried it and I never or hardly ever get callbacks.

I have more seniors call me back when I don't leave a message. They usually say, "Who is this? Your number is on my caller ID. Why did you call me?" I proceed to tell them and a fair percentage of them have taken a policy.

My experience is similar when cold calling.

I will usually leave a message when calling a client or a warm contact.

I never leave a voice mail when calling the senior market. I have tried it and I never or hardly ever get callbacks.

I have more seniors call me back when I don't leave a message. They usually say, "Who is this? Your number is on my caller ID. Why did you call me?" I proceed to tell them and a fair percentage of them have taken a policy.

I don't leave messages cold-calling T65's. They never call back.

Ditto your 2nd paragraph. That's happened to me several times where they call me back after my # shows up on their caller ID.

I do a couple hundred cold calls a week for commercial p&c.
I always leave a v/m.
I have had only 2 or 3 call backs...but one of them turned into a pretty good sized proposal we're putting together now.
So, the basic math is that you won't get a lot of returned calls....but you will get ZERO if you don't leave a message.

The time you spend leaving a message could be spent on trying to reach live people. The numbers are just not good enough to spend a lot of time leaving messages.

From reading this, I have to ask....how long does it take you guys to leave a message?

The question should be how many numbers do you have to dial to get a live person on the phone...

We are not talking about predictive dialers or anything other then using your fingers...

Also depends on what you are selling them, but if you got a message from an insurance agent wanting you to call him back, like a state farm agent, would you return his call??? NOPE But if he was talking to you live, he would have a better chance. It is all a numbers game when cold calling with your fingers...I"m not saying that you won't get a bite here and there, but the numbers are much better trying to get a live person on the phone.

For me doing comm p&c...I've already spoke to the gate keeper, got the persons name who handles the insurance ( by saying"could I have the person name just in case we get cut off?") and directed to their extension...where it's a crap shoot whether they'll pick up or not. I'm there...and it takes a few seconds to leave my name and number. And that's all I leave...if you try to leave a sales schpeel on v/m....I doubt you'll get any returns.

Back