Leaving Bankers Life & Casualty File Problems

copious

Expert
I'm leaving BLC and they're trying to take claim to all my fact finders claiming its company property. The BM is claiming I don't have a right to a copy of them.

Seems incorrect, I can see how they would probably have a right to all my purchased leads but not the client files. Advice please

I'm leaving BLC and they're trying to take claim to all my fact finders claiming its company property. The BM is claiming I don't have a right to a copy of them.

Seems incorrect, I can see how they would probably have a right to all my purchased leads but not the client files. Advice please

I have advised many times for agents to keep their own files offsite. Someone else can jump in on who owns what. Same for not using company CRM. If you do not have your own copy or the original that choice will be made for you by the company. Sometimes it is better to say you are sorry than ask for permission.

I have been an independent so long I may be out of touch.

This maniac took pictures of my desk when I was at lunch to make sure I don't take anything. I don't want to churn the business but I feel like if I ever had any type of complaint I'd have nothing to dispute it with.

I have 7 apps out and I'm trying to close out properly but he's making it hard.

He Mentioned something about pressing charges and what not if I take my files. Risk it and take them? Shred them?

This maniac took pictures of my desk when I was at lunch to make sure I don't take anything. I don't want to churn the business but I feel like if I ever had any type of complaint I'd have nothing to dispute it with.

I have 7 apps out and I'm trying to close out properly but he's making it hard.

He Mentioned something about pressing charges and what not if I take my files. Risk it and take them? Shred them?

If you are asking me, I would take them as I believe I have to maintain copies. If I have to return them later then I have to. Make sure your Licence is changed to your own address also.

Pressing charges on what??? I would offer him a nice bare spot on my big naturally tan *** to kiss. Gawd, I am glad I am independent.

Probably time for me to switch to decaf for the day.:idea:

Congrats on your decision to leave. How long were you working there? The best thing would have been to make copies of all of your client files without them knowing. Since that is probably not an option now, hopefully you have at least printed out your client list. If so, you'll just have to visit your clients and "update their fact finder/file".

I wouldn't take the offices copy of the client files. There would likely be some legal issues come up if you did. When I left I sent all of my clients a personal letter letting them know I was resigning, and left the door open for them to contact me. I got a threatening letter from BLC's attorney for that. Most have, and the ones that haven't I'm planning on contacting after my 2 years is up.

I would try and leave on somewhat decent terms as they are known for doing some things that can make you run around trying to defend yourself. They can sue you for soliciting "their" clients, have your old clients file bogus complaints on you (they'll write it and have client sign, then your manager will send it to DOI). It's a dirty company when you leave, so focus on getting away, getting new appointments and writing new biz as an independent.

Also, expect any policy not yet delivered or issued to be cancelled and re-written. You will also get chargebacks as they are going to replace some of your biz. When you get the letter stating you owe them, don't pay it. Wait until a year has passed, call home office and request the comp statements showing which policies you were charged back on. Call those clients and ask what happened (not soliciting). Call home office back and go through in detail disputing what you owe. They will take the bogus chargebacks off. Then offer them a settlement to pay in full. the rep is authorized to take 20%off, but I settled for 40% off by requesting it. Good luck!

If you look at your contract it probably says that you can't take the files. They likely are in fact their property and taking them would be theft. Odds are it would be relegated to a civil action, but it could be criminal.

Whether I agree with their policy or not, that is the policy of most captive shops. They aren't your files, you're captive, they belong to the folks you're captive with.

If we were to friends sitting at a bar talking, I'd say just count your losses and walk. No reason to fight it, that's energy that could be spent much more productively actually working on what you'll be doing next. It sucks, but that's the cleanest move.

Solid Info, Thank you. I'm just going to leave them here. I have all my policies out for delivery in my possession and I'm going to deliver them next week. I didn't turn in a resignation yet although I thought he'd term me after I declined his offer to stay.

If you can make copies and leave his originals do it. It might be late in the game since everything is at your office. If possible I would go in after everyone had left and burn up the copier! Years ago I was a District manager with a captive debit company. I resigned to go to another company. Gave two weeks notice etc.

The Regional Vp asked me not to tell anyone in the office in that he wanted to come in and make the announcement himself. The next week I moved everything out of my desk and file cabinets. Everything was out except for the plaques on the wall and my coffee cup.

Sure enough he call me the next friday morning (one week early) from the edge of town telling me he wants to make the announcement that day. He showed up announced my departure to the district and told me," I will take your key and you can clean out your office".

I said sure, opened my brief case took 4 plaques and my coffee cup. Said thanks and left. He wanted to know where all my files were. I told him that MY files were home....his were in the office.

Back