Leaving my agency to sell on my own - help!

ginobili64

Ok I've been working at this particular agency for 2 years now. I have about $3500 per month in business that I've accrued during these 2 years. I recently made the decision to leave the agency and start selling for myself. Here's the problem.....I have 2 major companies where most of this business lies. I have about 60% in Humana and 40% in Blue Cross Blue Shield. However, my Blue Cross Blue Shield business is under my agency's name.....I mean sure I sign the application but it goes under the agency's tax id number. So obviously if I want to take this business I'll have to get an AOR on every client. My question to anybody that knows is about my Humana business........when I look at the commission statement the business is under my name. However Humana describes me as the "writing" agent.....not the "agent of record". Does that mean I can't legally take the business with me? Will I have to get AORs from all of my clients!!??

Ok I've been working at this particular agency for 2 years now. I have about $3500 per month in business that I've accrued during these 2 years. I recently made the decision to leave the agency and start selling for myself. Here's the problem.....I have 2 major companies where most of this business lies. I have about 60% in Humana and 40% in Blue Cross Blue Shield. However, my Blue Cross Blue Shield business is under my agency's name.....I mean sure I sign the application but it goes under the agency's tax id number. So obviously if I want to take this business I'll have to get an AOR on every client. My question to anybody that knows is about my Humana business........when I look at the commission statement the business is under my name. However Humana describes me as the "writing" agent.....not the "agent of record". Does that mean I can't legally take the business with me? Will I have to get AORs from all of my clients!!??

Many agencies have a non-compete, non-solicit disclosure in their contract, but that will be specific to the agency you work for in your state. This prohibits an agent from obtaining an AOR change. Unfortunately, normally any business you write through a brokerage remains with that agency when an agent decides to leave. Consider it a thank you gift for having quality training and other benefits. I'd reread your contracts and see what it says. You might have to start from scratch... What state are you located in?

Many agencies have a non-compete, non-solicit disclosure in their contract, but that will be specific to the agency you work for in your state. This prohibits an agent from obtaining an AOR change. Unfortunately, normally any business you write through a brokerage remains with that agency when an agent decides to leave. Consider it a thank you gift for having quality training and other benefits. I'd reread your contracts and see what it says. You might have to start from scratch... What state are you located in?

I'm in Texas. I have signed no contract or non-compete contract of ANY sort. So technically I should be able to AT LEAST get AORs from my clients....right? After all, they know me....not the people at my agency. What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't see a problem with getting AOR's. That's what I did when I left my firm. Here is one thing I ran into: group business was an easy AOR (actually most of it was paid directly to me anyway), but the individual business with BC/BS couldn't be moved. The Blue's in my state don't allow AORs on individual busines, so it had to stay with my prior agency. You may want to check in your state whether or not this applies.

Hmmm that's interesting. I'll definitely check it out. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks

It's really hard to get an AOR with individual health insurance in California. Group is way easier to do...

Back