Legal Telemarketing Pitch?

SugarhouseMama

Mom got a call yesterday from a U.S. based TM (we think) they led with ' now that AEP is almost over & OEP has not started, we'd like to take advantage of the down time between and give you a free insurance consultation '
Legal ? They said insurance consultation, no mention of CMS or Medicare,,,,

Mom got a call yesterday from a U.S. based TM (we think) they led with ' now that AEP is almost over & OEP has not started, we'd like to take advantage of the down time between and give you a free insurance consultation '

What would be illegal about that?

I mean, bad pitch... but not sure what the issue would be.

Sounds pretty legit to me. The only way that could be illegal is if you are on the DNC list.

Caveat I'm new & just getting going (again) thought we can't call out for\on Medicare advantage policies - so saying AEP isn't a first contact \ no SOE ?
Mom really liked the soft approach they used & was excited to tell me about it.

Caveat I'm new & just getting going (again) thought we can't call out for\on Medicare advantage policies - so saying AEP isn't a first contact \ no SOE ?
Mom really liked the soft approach they used & was excited to tell me about it.

You can say AEP OEP etc. You just can’t cold call and have it lead to a MAPD sale.

Pretty lame pitch. I can’t imagine too many seniors use The terminology AEP or OEP in the daily lives. But, it doesn’t break any rules.

Regarding "legality", yes technically this is not breaking any rules. But are we stupid enough to think they are just going to do a "this is how Medicare works review"? The devil as usual is in the details. During this "consultation" there will be seeds of doubt sewn, such as "your current plan has $1 of benefits here, but this one has $1.25...wouldn't this be a better plan for you? Etc, etc. Or, you're on a plan that costs $23/month...this one has zero premium...wouldn't you prefer to pay $0?"
I have been in this business long enough (doesn't take long) to realize there are many, many agents "bending" the rules and stepping off bounds ethically to get more sales. This is no different than calling for Med Supps and ending with an MA sale. God bless CMS and their infinite wisdom of adding more confusion and more work for legit agents.

Latest posts

Back